Senior Engineering Manager
Sr. Engineering Manager, Order & Payment Platforms
The Order & Payment Platforms team is responsible for enabling some of the most critical processes at Wayfair. We build and operate variety of platforms that enable a range of functionality from processing and managing the lifecycle of orders and payments, to allowing sales and service teams to utilize SMS as a communication platform.
Being right at the center of daily operations between our Wayfair websites and the fulfillment channels, the team focuses on building highly performant systems, that also have high availability, high scalability, and high visibility. We use event-driven processing and distributed technologies to build our platforms and achieve our goals.
- Provide technical leadership to architect highly performant platforms, while designing for stability and resiliency.
- Focus on managing a medium-sized team, through coaching, mentorship and performance management.
- Own end-to-end feature development, and platform operations, while working with the team across all phases from design to rollout.
- Collaborate with the product team to generate ideas, develop insights, and to plan and execute the roadmap for the team.
An ideal candidate has:
- Experience building applications using event-driven architecture and RESTful services.
- Experience working with performance and scalability challenges across the stack.
- Experience improving fault tolerance of systems using stability patterns for RESTful and distributed applications
- Experience managing and building teams, while focusing on performance management, career development, project and roadmap planning, understanding business value, and bias for action.
- Good communication & collaboration skills - ability to work across teams to drive output.
- 5+ years of industry experience, and 3+ years of experience managing a small to medium sized team.
Other valuable skills (nice-to-haves):
- Familiarity with event-processing and distributed technologies like Apache Storm, RabbitMQ, Kafka, and Zookeeper.
- Experience with caching technologies like Redis and Memcache.
- Experience writing or optimizing SQL for high performance, especially with Microsoft SQL Server.
Back to top