Senior Data Engineer
- Berlin, Germany
We are evolving our supply chain data related architecture to a highly scalable system to address our current needs and future growth, and are looking to integrate into our team a data engineer with extensive experience in diverse data persistence paradigms and technologies.
Wayfair runs the largest in-house e-commerce big parcel network in the US and is currently building the EU equivalent with exponential growth. As a Senior Data Engineer, you will be helping to define and implement a top-notch data architecture at scale, exploring on-premise and cloud storage options, designing efficient data persistence systems and building event-driven pipelines.
As a Senior Data Engineer you will be responsible for:
- Work on high impact, business-critical, projects to improve data quality and availability
- Design and implement new highly scalable data pipelines
- Communicate decisions with upper management, peers and stakeholders
- Document system design
- Support the transition to the next level cloud storage
- Help to ensure data availability and system stability.
- Professional level of English.
- Professional working experience as a Data Engineer.
- Deep understanding of maintainability, reliability, and availability of distributed systems.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases.
- Experience building and optimizing “big data” pipelines, architectures, and unstructured data sets.
- Experience building processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management.
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable data stores.
- Experience supporting and working within cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- Experience using one or more of the software/tools in each of the following categories:
- Experience with big data tools: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc.
- Experience with relational SQL and NoSQL databases, including SQL Server, Elasticsearch, Aerospike, and Solr.
- Experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python, C#, PHP, Java, etc.
- The opportunity to participate in exciting high impact projects where you can innovate
- The chance to work in a startup-like environment for a Fortune500 company
- A competitive salary, annual bonus, and we share the company with you in stock units
- We contribute to your gym membership and offer free Yoga classes, as well as Wellness Weeks with massages, workshops and other exciting events
- Other perks like fresh fruit, snacks, and coffee
- We offer a vast selection of classes through our learn@work program to enhance your professional and personal development
- Monthly budget for social team events
- We’re in the heart of the Berlin startup scene with lots of space to encourage collaboration and teamwork
We are looking forward to your application!
About Transportation Engineering at Wayfair
Moving a couch across multiple countries to get it into your living room, one or two days after the order was placed, is a challenging business. One that has put Wayfair ahead of any other competitor in the US and soon in Europe. Finding the best routes, processing thousands of tracking messages every minute, handling real-world human errors, calculating the best rates and predicting accurate delivery dates are a few of the challenges that make our work impactful and exciting every day.
Wayfair (NYSE: W) is one of the world’s largest destinations for the home, and offers an extensive selection of home furnishings and décor across all styles and price points with a superb customer service and inspiring interior topics. With an unparalleled selection of more than seven million home items from 10,000 suppliers, Wayfair helps people find the perfect product at the right price. Always committed to using technology to create a superior shopping experience, Wayfair developed Wayfair Next which concentrates on 3D visualization technology.
Wayfair generated $6.8 billion in net revenue for full year 2018, having grown from $3.4 billion in 2016. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 14,500 people.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Back to top