PhD Data Science Immersion Program - January 2019
As one of the fastest growing tech companies in Boston, Wayfair relies on complex data analysis across all facets of the organization, ranging from our world-class fulfillment network to our algorithmic customer recommendations. Wayfair is offering a unique opportunity for select and highly qualified PhD students to participate in our Data Science Immersion Program in January 2019.
Hosted at our global headquarters in Boston, Massachusetts, our week-long program offers a deep-dive into the competitive and in-demand field of Data Science. Participants will engage with our in-house experts and learn what a career in Data Science is really like. Additionally, you will get exposure to senior leadership across the organization through various networking events.
Week at a Glance:
Our training allows for insight into the day-to-day work you would encounter as a Data Scientist at Wayfair, as well how to prepare to enter this competitive field. Some areas of focus include:
- Leadership Talks – learn about our unique business model and various departments at Wayfair from senior leaders across the company
- Technical Deep Dives – explore Wayfair’s data challenges in-depth with current Data Scientists
- Project-based Learning – collaborate with peers and mentors to uncover deep insight hidden in our vast repository of raw data, leverage your findings to drive real value and influence business decisions, and present findings with your team
- Interview Coaching – discover how to transition from the world of academia and better understand case interviewing as you explore full-time and internship opportunities for the future
- Networking and Mentorship – meet, learn from, and build lasting connections with smart people who are excited about solving challenges in e-commerce with data
Program Travel & Accommodations:
This program is free of charge to all selected participants. Admitted students are also eligible to receive the following:
- Paid travel and arrangements to and from Boston (non-local participants)
- Paid housing and arrangements (non-local participants)
- Select daily meals (all participants)
About our Data Science Team:
We have four main topic areas within Data Science at Wayfair. Each department plays a critical role in the company while operating with a high level of executive visibility. Each is focused on creating strategic solutions that steer customer behavior, influence key decision making and quantify our impact within the e-commerce space. These four divisions are:
Data Science Personalization builds sophisticated platforms designed to personalize customer experience to millions of unique shoppers across site and email. This includes working on different types of recommendations engines, as well as algorithms that machine-learn complex shopping behavior. The goal is to be intelligent and automated in making the experience more relevant for every user.
Data Science Marketing builds the framework and algorithms that help guide Wayfair’s $250M+ annual marketing investment. The work touches all marketing channels (TV, catalog and digital) and aims to improve our ability to measure marketing impact, improve our customer targeting and optimize our investments across millions of marketing campaigns.
Data Science Operations builds data-driven solutions to support Wayfair operations teams, including Merchandising Operations, B2B, Supplier Performance, and Customer Service. The big goals are to enhance Wayfair’s behind-the-scenes operational capabilities through rigorous use of algorithms and analysis.
Data Science Pricing and Profitability (Algorithms) is a group of data scientists within Wayfair’s Pricing & Profitability department. We design centralized systems to operate key business levers in e-commerce. These include global strategic management of dynamic pricing and sort recommendation algorithms, which are responsible for controlling the levels of consideration and exposure over millions of products worldwide. Day-to-day, we collaborate closely with business stakeholders to formulate these problems and mine terabytes of data to unearth deep insights that anchor the principles behind our solutions. Our diverse and fun teams enjoy an environment of strong ownership and quick feedback from building, experimenting and iterating on high-impact work.
Applicant Requirements: All applicants must be currently pursuing a PhD within Machine Learning, Statistics, Economics, Mathematics, Computer Science or other major with a heavy quantitative concentration. We are looking for highly motivated individuals who enjoy solving challenging problems in a fast-paced environment.
Program Run Time: January 7-11, 2019
*Interviews will take place during Fall 2018.
Application Deadline: November 1, 2018
Required Application Materials: Applicants must submit an updated copy of their resume.
For more information about the data science team and the work we do, check out our tech blog.
Wayfair Inc. offers an extensive selection of home furnishings and décor across all styles and price points. The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- DwellStudio, unexpected modern design for everyday life
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
Wayfair generated $4.7 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended December 31, 2017. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 10,00 people.
Wayfair does not accept unsolicited candidate referrals or resumes / CVs from third-party vendors, including recruitment agencies. Wayfair will not be responsible or liable for any fees or costs associated with such unsolicited submissions.
Back to top