We’re seeking highly analytical, passionate, and self-motivated individuals to join our North American Retail Buying and Category Management teams. North American Retail is the organization within Wayfair that drives the overall strategy for the multitude of product categories that are offered across our channels of business. The team serves as the external and internal ambassadors of the product categories we manage, mobilizing and coaching suppliers on how to grow their business on our sites, and leveraging internal partners to execute the strategic vision to win in the online home space. We have multiple openings across the business on the following teams:
- Wayfair Promotions and Curation
- Category Management
- Wayfair Basics
- Joss & Main
- Birch Lane
Wayfair is seeking a problem-solving, entrepreneurial individual to help shape the strategy and profitability for a high-growth vertical (i.e. bedding, cookware, patio furniture) on Wayfair.com. In this Category Manager role, you’ll work with external partners, our suppliers, and internal cross-functional teams to advance your category’s business agenda and drive strategic business decisions. Category Managers have ownership of key supplier relationships and make a direct impact on the category and Wayfair’s bottom line. You will be expected to define overarching goals and strategy for your category, problem-solve, articulate and execute against tactical plans, and manage key business metrics. Category Managers must be able to expertly negotiate internally and externally, while also being effective project managers.
How is this opportunity unique?
Category Managers interact with our suppliers every day. We like candidates with consultative mindsets who want to work with external partners. Our suppliers are important to our business and we want to grow with them collaboratively.
Wayfair is a data-driven environment. Candidates with experience using data to drive decision-making are great matches.
We move fast and take risks. If you have experience at a start-up or in another fast-paced, risk-taking environment, you’d enjoy working at Wayfair. Be prepared to constantly evolve.
Confidence is key. Category Managers have a 360° view into their suppliers and their category. You’ll need to be able to gain buy-in from senior leaders and cross-functional teams to accomplish your goals.
Our business is in high-growth stage and so is our team. Are you an effective people manager? Category Managers are expected to manage others either right away or relatively soon. You’ll have the opportunity to strengthen direct management skills in a Category Manager role.
What You'll Do
- Have ownership over a category plan to achieve revenue and profitability goals
- Build strong relationships with existing suppliers and execute negotiations to secure best pricing and promotional support
- Analyze data to strategize profit growth opportunities for the category and for specific supplier partners
- Advance catalog expansion: identify selection gaps, prioritize new item production, and develop relationships with target suppliers
- Identify sales, merchandising, and operational opportunities for the category and collaborate with internal teams to drive change (Planning, Advertising, Merchandising, Operations, PR, Finance, Customer Service, Business Intelligence)
- Analyze and anticipate competitor marketing, selection, and pricing strategy
- Attend tradeshows to visit key suppliers (4-8 times per year)
What You'll Need
- A Bachelor’s Degree
- 5+ years of ecommerce, corporate retail, or management consulting experience preferred
- Articulate and persuasive communication skills, both written and verbal
- A track record of successful negotiation and relationship management skills
- An ability to hit the ground running – a confident, entrepreneurial self-starter
- Demonstrated senior presence, recognized as an effective manager
- An ability to manage and prioritize projects, and to delegate tasks appropriately
- Innovative problem-solving skills – dissect and determine root causes of problems and implement solutions
- A track record of taking on big challenges and delivering despite obstacles and limited resources
- Experience managing others preferred
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.
Back to top