Engineering Manager, Storefront Engineering
- Boston, MA
Shopping for the home is often overwhelming. Wayfair is an extreme case - it’s visited by two million people daily, shopping across more than 10 million products: Home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares, and more. We work hard to conceal the complexity of this experience. Every customer should come away feeling like they’ve found the perfect item for them. Shopping for the home should be exciting, and we’re the team that makes that happen.
Each Storefront Engineering group, covers one major portion of the purchase funnel. These groups consist of teams owning specific products, within which they run A/B tests that have considerable impact on purchasing decisions. The Storefront Team is growing quickly and as its features mature, it’s important to maintain velocity and stability. The Senior Manager for Storefront Engineering should help the team uncover and develop any capabilities needed to do so. This leader should be able to connect these and any other engineering problems to the team’s business goals.
What You’ll Do?
• Identifying engineering problems in the areas of your ownership and developing solutions to them in conjunction with your teams and other appropriate stakeholders. Using the Storefront stack of PHP, MSSQL, React, Memcached, Redis and other technologies to develop these solutions.
• Working with product and analytics teams and running A/B tests that have considerable impact on purchasing decisions. Monitoring success on these tests and working to roll out winning variations of these tests
• As part of the above, working closely with Wayfair teams that are responsible for Analytics, Design, Front End, Product, and QA. Overseeing design review processes, testing, tracking review and other interactions between the engineering teams and these teams to ensure smooth project execution.
• Developing capabilities needed to maintain the performance and stability of Wayfair’s websites and apps. Using tools like Kibana, Grafana, InfluxDB, Vertica to monitor and track performance and stability over a period of time, alert on anomalies and working to develop solutions to fix regressions. Build on our suite of automated tests using PHPUnit, Selenium, and other testing technologies.
• Coaching tech leads through running productive and efficient sprints. Monitoring sprint metrics like velocity, focus factor, burndown and ensure consistently high sprint performance.
• Identify points where the product and engineering roadmaps don’t align. Work with both teams to address these issues, ensuring appropriate prioritization of engineering driven tech investments alongside new feature development.
• Ensure that the right information is available to make high level architecture and technology decisions.
Who You Are:
• Bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field and 4+ years of relevant industry experience, OR have 12+ years of equivalent industry experience
• You have experience with PHP (or other object-oriented languages like Java, C++, C#, Scala) and object-oriented design.
• You care about technology, but you don’t care about it for its own sake. You’re not married to specific tools. You’re comfortable moving up and down the stack to solve problems.
• You care about your team. You learn together and you focus on the facts to drive decisions.
• You care about the customer. You won’t be happy if you’re blindly executing on specs.
• You have excellent communication and stakeholder management skills and you have a deep understanding of Product/Engineering partnership in the R&D process.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading
technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair is, and will be, home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking. No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risktakers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.
Back to top