Director of UX Research (Product Design)
This new Director-level role will lead our UX Research efforts within our product design organization. As the leader of this wide-ranging org, you will play a key role in growing the team focused on UX Research across our consumer-focused Product Design organization. You’ll join a diverse, multidisciplinary team of world-class professionals who are hard at work transforming the online ecosystem and toolset behind Wayfair.com’s success. Our culture is collaborative, data-driven, and fast-paced. We are looking for a self-directed, analytical, and creative individual with a passion for solving complex user problems, elevating and harnessing the power of the customer’s voice.
This individual will work with teams across the company. The scope of impact is broad, with accountability for developing and maturing a shared vision for the customer journey that drives increased customer engagement.
This role will lead a team of high performing UX Researchers in solidifying a holistic product vision that is effectively communicated to a multi-disciplinary team of designers, content strategists, engineers, and product managers.
We’re looking for a strong product thinker who can clearly communicate their ideas from a high-level view of our customer experience, as well as dive into the details to help our product teams deliver world-class products and services. Your ability to identify, influence, and prioritize opportunities for greatest impact paired with your leadership and mentorship of great design thinkers will craft a platform that allows amazing experiences to be built.
What you’ll do:
- Lead the workstreams of UX researchers across all facets of the user journey
- Find and hire the best talent to comprise a complementary set of thinkers who continually push one another to achieve great results
- Set the example for what UX Research is at Wayfair
- Promote a design culture that is inclusive of product management, engineering, merchandising, marketing, brand partnerships, and customer support to impact the scale of design
- Conduct design initiatives across multiple workgroups, coordinating efforts to achieve unified solutions for touchpoints across the customer’s journey
- Engage in design and research community activities to further promote awareness of the product design team and its achievements
- Driven by experience, make calls from the gut when pure quantitative data isn’t conclusive
- Abolish the status quo and achieve new design standards across both the company and the industry
- Inspire designers, user researchers, content strategists, product managers, and engineers to deliver the best work of their careers
- Evangelize the need for and power of qualitative data across organization as well as methods to successfully obtain and utilize it
- Create capability to effectively share results across organization, allowing immediate access to current and historical data
- Broadly communicate general findings about our customers for all to see and understand
- Develop comprehensive understanding of customer triggers, needs, and mental models
Who you are:
- A leader with 12-15+ years' experience in UX Research
- A builder of engaging customer experiences which solve goals with elegant simplicity
- A motivator who champions team successes and stays humble in your own success
- A passionate advocate for the customer who never loses sight of the big picture
- A curious mind who rarely settles for your first answer and constantly seeks new ways to solve problems
- A connector of disparate teams able to drive coalescence around the customer voice
Who you aren’t:
- A perfectionist
- An egomaniac on par with Kanye
- A ‘yeah, but’er’
This is a rare opportunity to help grow and curate the work of researchers and designers who have the ability to drive incredible product solutions across an industry. If this is the challenge you’re seeking, please let us know why and feel free to share any of your thoughts, stories, or work that you have floating around online. We’d love to get to know you!
Back to top