Director of Marketing, Home Improvement Vertical
- Boston, MA
Director of Marketing, Home Improvement
Wayfair is looking for an experienced professional to build and lead the marketing strategies for our growing Home Improvement Vertical. Wayfair’s Home Improvement business generates $1.5B+ of annualized revenue and is growing at 50%+ YoY, but less than 25% of consumers are aware that we sell the Home Improvement categories (e.g. Kitchen & Bath Fixtures, Tubs, Toilets, Flooring, Appliances, Outdoor Decor, Grills, and Hot Tubs.) One of the 3 highest priority strategic objectives for Wayfair is to expand our assortment into adjacent categories to become the #1 player in the $400B Home Goods market. Vertical Marketing is a critical driver in this effort to own “everything home”.
As part of the leadership team for the marketing department, the Director of Home Improvement Marketing will be responsible for setting the direction of customer acquisition and retention efforts. The Director will lead a high-performing team of ~10 that will conduct consumer insights, collect competitive intelligence, interface with industry experts, and operate in a highly cross-functional environment to identify nuanced growth strategies. Your team will leverage those insights and work with our 95% in-house campaign execution teams to run A/B tests to validate your hypotheses. Once successfully completed, you’ll work with our in-house AdTech stack to scale those tests into new capabilities.
The Director of Marketing, Home Improvement, will work side by side with cross-functional business leaders to set aggressive growth targets for the business. The Director will also work with Product and Engineering to optimize our marketing and engagement platforms for Home Improvement customers and re-imagine the online customer journey for improving your home.
This is a unique opportunity for a highly motivated and entrepreneurial individual to contribute in a significant way to Wayfair’s rapid growth and leadership in e-commerce.
- Define, pilot, and rapidly iterate the Home Improvement marketing strategy
- Relentlessly create revenue growth through innovative strategies and meticulous execution to deliver step change improvements in performance
- Define KPIs for the category marketing team, and establish stretch goals for 3-6-12 month time windows
- Partner with internal teams to help influence the marketing agenda and execute
- Partner with Engineering and product to build a platform that re-imagines the customer journey in the Home Improvement Vertical
- Institute rigorous test-and-learn methodology to achieve desired results; look at active campaigns vs. predicted outcomes to ensure the most successful campaigns are scaled
- Develop talent within the organization, mentor and develop the team
- Minimum of 10 years experience including experience leading teams and setting strategic goals/direction
- Prior engineering or technical product management experience preferred; particularly experience in e-commerce
- Ability to communicate effectively with senior and executive management; exceptionally strong written and verbal communication skills that can be tailored to internal partners
- Seasoned in managing timelines, delivery, dependencies, communication across teams
- Able to pivot readily and react to real-time data
- Comfortable in a data-driven environment; leverage Wayfair’s statistical and analytical models to drive customer insights
- Excellent interpersonal and team building skills including experience managing high performing teams
- Positive and people oriented
- Interest in Renovations, house flipping, general contracting, design build construction all a plus!
About Marketing at Wayfair
The Marketing team is responsible for knowing the customer. We fuel growth by introducing new customers to our brands and driving engagement from our loyal customer base. Marketing team members are equal parts performance marketers, general managers, and innovators.
We’re not a cost center; we drive profitable top line revenue growth by investing our marketing dollars where they will drive the greatest return for the business and leveraging our understanding of the customer to drive the overall business strategy.
We write our own playbook for marketing success. We work cross functionally with everyone from Engineering and Product to Merchandising and Category Management.
We understand the nitty gritty of how the internet works and we build our own ad tech platforms to maximize the ROI from our marketing investments.
Marketing leaders own and drive:
- Channel management. Our Marketing leaders drive strategies for the marketing channels (e.g., paid search, display, social, direct mail, email) we rely on to drive Wayfair’s growth. This means:
- Owning all aspects of performance (revenue, cost, profitability)
- Building and driving innovative roadmaps to channel growth
- Owning relationships with our advertising partners (Facebook, Google, Pinterest, etc.)
- Product/Ad tech development. Wayfair’s approach to marketing is unique in that we build our own advertising technology platforms. This means that we need leaders who:
- Take an ownership mentality to holistically thinking about tools and technologies
- Can build product/technology solutions to fuel sustainable growth for marketing initiatives
- Can work cross functionally to shape product offerings
Back to top