Director of Category Management
Head of Casegoods, Category Management
Wayfair is searching for a leader to oversee Casegoods for Wayfair.com. Casegoods is Wayfair’s core business, and thus plays an integral role in driving Wayfair’s overall financial success, enabling Wayfair to invest in new ventures to grow the brand and improve the customer experience. The Casegoods category breaks down into 8 different furniture businesses, each one being a core part to Wayfair’s historical success and the future success of the company. The growth and maturity of the business provides first access to newer initiatives with the ability to pilot programs / projects that will help make Wayfair the best online destination for Home Furnishings.
The Head of Casegoods is the steward of the business, and is ultimately tasked with continuing, maintaining, and accelerating profitable growth while aggressively taking share in the marketplace. To accomplish this, the candidate needs to be analytically minded, build deep institutional knowledge about the industry and help set the vision of the business. The role requires frequent dialogue with Wayfair’s CEO and c-suite team to ensure alignment is tight and priorities are agreed upon.
At its essence, you will spend your time focused in the following areas (more specific responsibilities below in next section):
- Managing your team: Casegoods is a large (25 people and growing), talented, ambitious team, and we need a leader who can develop future leaders of the organization and utilize personnel effectively to drive initiatives forward
- Managing suppliers: A critical part of the role is building relationships with, negotiating with, and influencing suppliers, which in turn creates long lasting partnerships with suppliers that can scale with Wayfair. Since we outsource a large portion of our supply chain, supplier relationships is critically important to Wayfair overall
- Developing strategic plans: Successfully growing Casegoods will require nuanced, category-level strategies with cross functional buy-in that focus on optimizing assortment, merchandising, logistics and pricing
- Influencing a diverse set of stakeholders: Wayfair is a matrixed organization, with ownership divided across specialized, expert teams. Executing a cohesive, 360° strategic plan requires understanding, influencing, and motivating many different teams and individuals
- Assessing performance: With strategies set and execution underway, it becomes critical to conduct regular analytical deep dives into performance to identify what is and is not working and then pivoting accordingly
Due to the importance of this role, we are looking for an experienced, entrepreneurial, analytical leader who can build relationships, develop a large team, set a strategic vision, and influence a wide array of internal and external stakeholders. At Wayfair, we pride ourselves on having leaders who are “manager-doers.” Our next Head of Casegoods must be senior enough to be entrusted with the strategy of our core business, while also being willing to roll up their sleeves and dive into the weeds when necessary.
- Drive data insights into action and guiding strategic planning
- Develop strategic points of view, build plans, execute and drive profitable growth
- Develop and execute category strategy in concert with buy-in from c-suite management
- Collaborate with key cross-functional senior stakeholders in pricing, product, site merchandising, promotions, operations, marketing, and inventory to drive category strategy
- Lead a team of Category Managers and their reports
- Improve profits through strategic supplier relationship management, ensuring we are competitive in the marketplace on pricing/economics
- Advance catalogue expansion, including identifying selection gaps, prioritizing new line queue and building direct relationships with key suppliers to bring on board
- Develop talent for Category leadership; additionally, mentor/develop staff at Wayfair
- Analyze competitors’ marketing, selection and pricing and make strategic changes and product scouting as needed
- Roughly 15% travel for meeting suppliers at trade shows in cities such as Las Vegas, Chicago, Atlanta, and High Point (North Carolina)
- MBA from top tier school
- 7 to 15 years relevant experience, preferably in management consulting or e-commerce
- Proven track record of leadership, taking ownership and driving results
- Ability to develop and articulate strategy and perform tactically
- Passion for large data sets to drive strategic insights
- Versatile performer, capable of adapting as data-led insights evolve
- Prior experience recruiting and building high performance teams
- Ability to multi-task and work well within a dynamic organization
- Prior experience in a high performance, fast-paced industry
- Comfortable in technology-driven business environment
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes - from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $5.2 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended March 31, 2018. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 8,700 people.
Meet Some of Wayfair's Employees
Senior Product Manager
Virginia works to deliver the best in class shipping experiences to help build trust with Wayfair’s customers.
Back to top