Data Scientist - Supplier Financing
- Berlin, Germany
With Wayfair’s continued growth comes the need for strong financial and quantitative expertise along multiple dimensions, paired with strategic thinking, partnership and support across the business.
As a Data Scientist in the newly created Global Supplier Financing team, you will develop Wayfair’s proprietary predictive risk models as basis for automated lending decisions.
The core focus will be placed on deriving a risk perspective based on our comprehensive internal data and our forecasting models to quantify the risk involved in lending to our suppliers based on their inventory which is stored in our CastleGate warehouses and sold via the Wayfair platform.
The role will closely interact with internal stakeholders to align the risk methodologies with existing forecasting models, to identify the target supplier and product base and to drive implementation of the models in our supplier portal together with engineers.
The ideal candidate has comprehensive experience in predictive risk modeling of structured financial products and strong data handling skills to take responsibility for the entire end-to-end modeling process.
What You’ll Do:
Develop Wayfair’s proprietary predictive risk models for Supplier Financing
- Evaluate existing forecasting methodologies and assess applicability for risk modeling
- Prepare data sets needed for inventory-based risk modeling and for identifying target supplier and product base
- Develop predictive ML-based risk models for inventory-based supplier financing, leveraging state-of-the-art techniques (without regulatory constraints known from classical banking environments)
Benchmarking and validation
- Benchmark models with external sources, ensuring that we are leveraging state-of-the-art methodologies
- Validate models based on actual supplier and sales performance, ensuring that we are considering necessary margins of conservatism to avoid financial losses within deteriorating economic environments
Drive product implementation and support portfolio management
- Act as a business counterpart for the internal tech team regarding the implementation of our risk models in our supplier portal
- Support financing portfolio managers in stress testing and scenario analysis
What You’ll Need:
Risk/Predictive modeling experience
- Expertise in quantitative analysis and predictive modeling, going beyond traditional statistical modeling applied for Retail and Corporate risk measurement in banks (e.g. state-of-the-art ML techniques, simulation models)
- Comprehensive experience in risk modeling of financial products, ideally structured financial products or asset-based finance
- Industry experience in fintechs, private equity or banking
- Understanding of financial risk considering loss distributions and downside scenarios
- Superb attention to detail and the ability to prioritize and deliver in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent knowledge of SQL as well as a standard modeling language (R, Python, SAS)
- Demonstrated skills in fact-based analysis, clear communication and interpersonal interaction.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees and executive management (internal and external)
- Strong interpersonal skills, with an emphasis on teamwork, initiative and integrity
And finally, our proposition to you!
- A competitive salary, yearly bonus, and an attractive equity package
- We contribute to your gym membership and offer free Yoga classes, as well as Wellness Weeks with massages, workshops, and other exciting events
- The opportunity to work cross-functionally and closely with senior leadership, not only in the Berlin office but also with Boston, London, and Galway
- We offer a vast selection of classes through our learn@work program to enhance your professional and personal development
- Regular company-sponsored social events to connect with your team and fellow colleagues
- An office location in the heart of the Berlin startup scene, with lots of space to encourage collaboration and teamwork
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters.
That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.
Back to top