Category Manager, Product Performance
Category Manager, Product Performance
Supply Chain & Logistics - Supplier Operations Boston, Massachusetts
Category Product Performance Manager
Wayfair continues to build industry-shaping infrastructure and capabilities in Operations to fuel growth and delight our customers. As part of this journey, we are seeking bright, entrepreneurial specialists to help us drive initiatives related to our most strategic operations topics that will propel Wayfair from $5B to $10B and beyond.
One major priority we have is in Product Performance, where we strive to drastically reduce the number of problems that arise as a product makes its way to the customer’s home. We want to reduce “customer incidents” to near-zero levels – whether they are damages, defects, lost items, missing parts, etc. – to provide the best customer experience possible and further fuel Wayfair’s growth and profitability. This challenge is one of the most business critical, technically complex and interconnected challenges we face.
Entrepreneurialism, creativity, an ownership mindset, and a relentless drive to solve cross functional problems are a must to be successful in this role. For the typical Category Manager, Product Performance the average day is defined by variety. In a typical eight hour day you should expect to:
- Structure a vision and roadmap for high priority product categories
- Pull and analyze data sets that touch every aspect of Wayfair operations to identify new opportunities and trends to drive supply chain performance and improve the customer experience
- Structure and lead problem solving with senior, cross-functional stakeholders to understand broad strategic requirements from the business, prioritize the opportunities we see in the data, develop innovative levers to tackle those opportunities and set targets for impact
- Embed in field operations to incorporate real world operational insights
- Scope and run pilots and projects to test, refine and scale innovative solutions to the most difficult operational challenges.
If the idea of digging through data to find actionable insights and tearing into the packaging of two similar products to understand why they perform differently in the Wayfair network is exciting to you, this will be a rewarding role. In the last few months our Category Managers, Product Performance have worked with suppliers to change packaging and redesign products; develop new product handling and warehouse handling practices; and developed new tools and analysis techniques for honing in on huge performance opportunities, all across a wide range of Wayfair’s industry leading selection.
We welcome applications from high caliber professionals who are looking for the next chapter of their careers, for whom home goods & décor are a meaningful arena to use the skills they developed in generalist business settings. Please reach out and highlight how your experience can be leveraged to contribute to the success of the next great e-commerce business.
About our Teams:
Our Product Performance Teams are responsible for ensuring Wayfair is deliver products the customer expects, every time. We manage the fulfillment network for Wayfair, Joss & Main, All Modern, Wayfair Supply, Perigold, and Dwell Studios. In addition to working extensively with our external partners (suppliers, carriers), we are plugged into every department within the company – from finance to marketing.
What you will do:
- Analyze key performance metrics to root-cause performance issues and drive change
- Create and execute product class specific roadmaps to drive impact and savings within the operational organization
- Root-cause customer incidence issues and problem solve creatively: although in operations, our solutions can involve merchandising, customer education, etc.
- Report performance trends and improvements to senior management
- Contribute to the development of tools and processes which make our team and suppliers more efficient (and effective)
- Work cross functionally with groups company-wide, including Category Management, Promotions, Data Integration, and Warehouse Fulfillment
- Build strong relationships with suppliers and collaborate to improve their operational performance
- Travel to supplier and Wayfair warehouses to view their operations first hand
You’re a great fit if you have:
- A Bachelor Degree
- 3 to 6 years of e-commerce, consumer goods, retail merchandising or management consulting experience
- Articulate and persuasive communication skills, both written and verbal
- Innovative problem-solving skills – dissect and determine root causes of problems, and implement solutions
- Analytical and comfortable with large data sets and drawing insights from them
- A track record of successful negotiation and relationship management skills
- An ability to hit the ground running – a confident, entrepreneurial self-starter
- Demonstrated senior presence, recognized as an effective manager. Experience managing others preferred
- An ability to manage and prioritize projects, and to delegate tasks appropriately
- A track record of taking on big challenges and delivering despite obstacles and limited resources
- Experience in business and data analytics, Excel, SQL
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes - from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $5.2 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended March 31, 2018. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 8,700 people.
Meet Some of Wayfair's Employees
Senior Product Manager
Virginia works to deliver the best in class shipping experiences to help build trust with Wayfair’s customers.
Back to top