Why we need you:
Wayfair is seeking a problem-solving, entrepreneurial individual to help shape the strategy and profitability for a high-growth vertical (ie bedding, cookware, patio furniture) on Wayfair.com. In this Category Manager role, you’ll work with external partners, our suppliers, and internal cross-functional teams to advance your category’s business agenda and drive strategic business decisions. Category Managers have ownership of key supplier relationships and make a direct impact on the category and Wayfair’s bottom line.
You will be expected to define overarching goals and strategy for your category, problem-solve, articulate and execute against tactical plans, and manage key business metrics. Category Managers must be able to expertly negotiate internally and externally, while also being an effective project manager.
How is this opportunity unique?
Category Managers interact with our suppliers every day. We like candidates with consultative mindsets who want to work with external partners. Our suppliers are important to our business and we want to grow with them collaboratively.
Wayfair is a data-driven environment. Candidates with experience using to drive decision-making are great matches.
We move fast and take risks. If you have experience at a start-up or in another fast-paced, risk-taking environment, you’d enjoy working at Wayfair. Be prepared to constantly evolve.
Confidence is key. Category Managers have a 360° view into their suppliers and their category. You’ll need to be able to gain buy-in from senior leaders and cross functional teams to accomplish your goals.
Our business is in high-growth stage and so is our team. Are you an effective people manager? Category Managers are expected to manage others either right away or relatively soon. You’ll have the opportunity to strengthen direct management skills in a Category Manager role.
- Have ownership over a category plan to achieve revenue and profitability goals
- Build strong relationships with existing suppliers and execute negotiations to secure best pricing and promotional support
- Analyze data to strategize profit growth opportunities for the category and for specific supplier partners
- Advance catalog expansion: identify selection gaps, prioritize new item production and develop relationships with target suppliers
- Identify sales, merchandising, and operational opportunities for the category and collaborate with internal teams to drive change (Planning, Advertising, Merchandising, Operations, PR, Finance, Customer Service, Business Intelligence)
- Analyze and anticipate competitor marketing, selection, and pricing strategy
- Attend tradeshows to visit key suppliers (4-8 times per year)
Is anything required?
- A Bachelor’s Degree
- 4-5 years of ecommerce, corporate retail, or management consulting experience preferred
- Articulate and persuasive communication skills, both written and verbal
- A track record of successful negotiation and relationship management skills
- An ability to hit the ground running – a confident, entrepreneurial self-starter
- Demonstrated senior presence, recognized as an effective manager. Experience managing others preferred
- An ability to manage and prioritize projects, and to delegate tasks appropriately
- Innovative problem-solving skills – dissect and determine root causes of problems, and implement solutions
- A track record of taking on big challenges and delivering despite obstacles and limited resources
- Experience in business and data analytics, Excel, SQL
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes - from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $5.2 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended March 31, 2018. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 8,700 people.
Meet Some of Wayfair's Employees
Senior Product Manager
Virginia works to deliver the best in class shipping experiences to help build trust with Wayfair’s customers.
Back to top