Associate Director, Variable Cost Engineering
Variable Cost Engineering is a team of programmers who are building a software system that reshapes technical infrastructure based on signals from separate systems that monitor resource usage and pay the bills in cloud and colocated environments. The manager should be a versatile tech person with some product development chops. He or she does not need to be an expert in all areas into which the team's work reaches, but to give you a sense of the scope, those are: statistical quality control / anomaly detection, operations research, accounting, DevOps, Site Reliability Engineering, dashboarding for tech operations, web-based application development.
Day-to-day activities to perform solo or by orchestrating non-direct-reports at first, but with a roadmap to delegation include:
- Collate information from monitoring, analytical and payment systems into first spreadsheets and then a dashboard, tracking usage and cost trends over time
- Hack together web front end to some spiffy DevOps capabilities
- Set up a monitoring dashboard in a relative mature underlying system to identify underutilized compute, memory and storage
Possible relevant qualifications:
- BS in Computer Science, Information Systems, other Engineering discipline or Data Science, with ten (10) years experience in software development.
- Operational experience with DevOps and/or data centers
- Knowledge of statistics
- Business intelligence
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes - from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $5.2 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended March 31, 2018. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 8,700 people.
Meet Some of Wayfair's Employees
Senior Product Manager
Virginia works to deliver the best in class shipping experiences to help build trust with Wayfair’s customers.
Back to top