Associate Director, Storefront Engineering - Inspire
Wayfair’s Storefront Engineering team creates the websites and apps where people shop and get inspired. They’re used by over two million people every day. We’re looking for an experienced engineering leader to join us.
Sitting within the Storefront Engineering group, the Inspire Team covers the top of the purchase funnel. Inspire creates many customers’ first impression of Wayfair. Inspire’s A/B tests have considerable impact on purchasing decisions.
The Inspire Team is growing quickly and as its features mature, it’s important to maintain velocity and stability. The Associate Director for Inspire should help the team uncover and develop any capabilities needed to do so. This leader should be able to connect these and any other engineering problems to the team’s business goals.
Inspire is currently comprised of five Engineering Pods:
- Homepage – We’re transitioning the homepage experience from being highly curated to highly personalized. Each customer could potentially see a unique homepage.
- Shop The Look – Tagged room photos to help customers discover design possibilities. Shop the Look is constantly adding new features, with the broad goal of tripling active users in the next year.
- On-Site Media – Third-party and native advertising across multiple page types. We also support custom pages for certain suppliers.
- Navigation – Optimizing the header, footer, and related elements that live on nearly all pages.
- Way Up – Developing sponsored product placements.
The reporting structure also includes management of two SEO Engineering teams. Over the next year, the Inspire and SEO teams are expected to grow significantly.
What Your First Month Would Be Like:
- Establishing relationships with your peer on the product team and those on other neighboring teams.
- Coaching tech leads through running sprints.
What Your First Year Would Be Like:
- Identifying new workstreams to incorporate into your product area.
- Identifying points where the product and engineering roadmaps don’t align.
- Ensuring that the right information is available to make high level architecture and technology decisions.
- Guiding managers through handling career development topics with their reports.
- Maintaining healthy collaborative relationships within your team and setting a high bar for performance.
Why This Job Might Be For You:
- You care about technology, but you don’t care about it for its own sake. You’re not married to specific tools. You’re comfortable moving up and down the stack to solve problems.
- You care about your team. You learn together and you focus on the facts to drive decisions.
- You care about the customer. You won’t be happy if you’re blindly executing on specs.
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- 4+ years experience in software engineering leadership
- Demonstrated technical leadership capability (code reviews, scrum, etc.)
- Track record of building highly functional teams
- Ability to think and perform both tactically and strategically
- Excellent analytical skills with demonstrated experience turning data into actionable insights
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills at the senior leadership level
- Deep understanding of Product/Engineering partnership
- Ability to multi-task and work well within a dynamic, fast-paced organization
- Positive, people-oriented, and energetic attitude
- Strong academic record (strong preference for technical, quantitative, or scientific backgrounds)
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes - from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $5.2 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended March 31, 2018. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 8,700 people.
Back to top