Associate Director, Inventory Management
CastleGate was created to dramatically improve consumers’ shopping experience, and develop a unique competitive advantage for Wayfair. We do this by offering one and two-day delivery times, lower prices, and higher delivery quality of home products than has historically been possible. In order to accomplish this goal, CastleGate partners with hundreds of suppliers, and provides access to our rapidly expanding portfolio of logistics services. CastleGate is one of Wayfair’s newer business units, is growing rapidly, and operates entrepreneurially. We are looking for highly motivated individuals to help expand this business.
On our CastleGate Team you will have the ability to:
- Own and drive a part of the business that has real and immediate impact on the success of Wayfair.
- Develop and execute transformational strategies that generate a game-changing competitive advantage and enduring customer satisfaction.
- Partner with a team of smart, motivated and engaged individuals in an environment that is both collaborative and risk taking.
Visit the link to hear from one of our Wayfair founders, Niraj Shah, and our team to get a more in-depth understanding of CastleGate: https://www.youtube.com/embed/4ChIwUySYhs
About the Role:
Buyfair is a critically important project for CastleGate and Wayfair as it provides a foundation to enable speed for our customers by optimally forward positioning inventory at the lowest cost to our suppliers. At the core of this is a powerful optimization based decision engine that considers variables including forecast, inventory levels, sources of supply, transportation costs and capacity. Buyfair will also provide a critical communication tool for our Availability teams and suppliers to review, modify, and execute the replenishment plans.
The head of “Buyfair” drives the operating strategy, analytics and testing of Wayfair’s proprietary optimization based inventory replenishment software. As the sole business owner, the head of Buyfair is responsible for enabling speed of delivery to our customers while continuously optimizing the cost to our suppliers. This is a unique role in Wayfair that operates at the intersection of Business strategy, Operations Analytics, Data Science and Technology.
A successful Leader of Buyfair will:
- Innovate and script the path for inventory management at not just Wayfair, but set the direction for the retail industry for the next 10 years
- Direct the dedicated efforts of a large complex team across engineering, product management, data science and operation research
- Identify the KPIs for measuring success of the Buyfair program along dimensions of planner-supplier adoption, in-stock rates, speed to customer and cost to supplier etc.
- Create and own the product roadmap with help from the product management and availability teams
- Develop the infrastructure for continuous improvement and testing with help from engineering, operation research and data science teams
- Champion the product and the platform with internal stakeholders in category management, account management and availability
- Evangelize the platform and drive adoption with suppliers
- Embrace a disruptive approach and drive significant value creation
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Business or a Supply Chain/Operations discipline from a top tier school
- MBA or equivalent Master’s degree preferred, also from a top tier school
- 10+ years of experience in operations, technology, consulting, strategy or finance, preferably with diverse experience
- Experience managing and executing large projects from start to finish including project management, data gathering and modeling, problem solving and communicating recommendations
- Experience in one of the following fields: consulting, consultative sales, or account management
- Successful entrepreneurial background with experience building a similar or related product/service offering, especially in the logistics space
- Innovative leader looking for an opportunity to lead product category vertical strategy and execution
- Experience in retail, supply chain, logistics is a plus
- Strong analytical experience and comfortable operating with large data sets to identify trends and actionable takeaways
- Detailed oriented with strong client or customer management experience and comfortable presenting to C-level executives
- Proven track record of leadership, taking ownership and driving results
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Senior presence; able to clearly and consistently partner with a broad range of levels and functions to achieve objectives
- Proficiency with SQL and ability to analyze large data sets to deliver clear, actionable insights
Back to top