Director of Operations
WAXIE’s Director of Operations is responsible for leading, nurturing, developing, and improving WAXIE’s overall operations. Through a dotted line reporting structure, the Director of Operations will lead a team of Operations Managers located throughout WAXIE’s main Branches.
- Leadership: Assess the performance leadoff WAXIE’s team of Operations Managers through our regular review process. Conduct annual Supply Chain/Safety/Human Capital seminars that focus on regulatory compliance, leadership, and operational excellence to bolster the effectiveness of the Operations Managers, Warehouse Managers, and Service Center Managers. Assist in the talent acquisition and development of new Operations Managers to increase their ability to perform current duties through both formal and informal training.
- Data & Analytics: Analyze operational metrics that include; fleet utilization, throughput measurements, inventory accuracy, service center profitability, and labor costs in order to provide formal recommendations in the pursuit of “better.” Manage the outbound freight spend to include utilization rates, modes of shipment, and split shipment utilization in order to decrease the cost per shipment.
- Compliance: On a routine basis, conduct site inspections in order to validate the general condition of each Branch to include; warehouse cleanliness and racking integrity, current sprinkler certification and safety condition of equipment (electrical panel access, egress access, lighting, etc.) general condition of loading dock levelers and material handling equipment as well as the condition of fleet units. Oversee and support higher levels of regulatory compliance relating to HAZAMT disposal, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, OSHA, and company policy and procedures.
- Safety: Oversee Branch Safety and assist in creating a safety conscious culture through the following; development and execution of WAXIE’s Injury Illness Prevention Plan, create safety engagement meetings with key stakeholders during Branch site visits to review fleet/industrial accidents and prevention measures, keep abreast of regulatory changes impacting WAXIE (FMCSR(s), EPA, OSHA), act as the Program Manager for various safety programs to ensure compliance, record keeping and program effectiveness (SmartDrive, EPN/MVR, LMS), and oversee HAZMAT disposal and reporting.
- Customer Service: Provide guidance to Customer Service to ensure that customer facing activities support accurate deliveries to include order accuracy, shipping instructions, order cycle time and timely billing to our customers.
- Performance Management: Develop and maintain an operational KPI score card that is published to demonstrate both compliance and operational excellence for each major branch. Establish and publish Standard Operating Procedures to support both job knowledge and operational consistency.
- Consultant: Develop procurement strategies and effective asset management for owned fleet vehicles and material handling equipment to include life cycle planning and asset tracking. Act in a consultative capacity when conducting site visits at each major branch to ensure operational efficiencies are achieved while promoting compliance toward all operational procedures. Provide innovative solutions that deliver both a cost savings and value within your area of expertise to ensure operations is supporting the large goal of growth.
- Relationship Management: Conduct physical site visits in order to establish and maintain a professional and impactful relationship with a host of internal customers to include; General Managers, Operations Managers, Service Center Managers, Warehouse Managers, local Human Resources, and line employees from all departments within Operations.
- Subject Matter Expert: Develop policies and procedures that impact all branches relating to a wide array of subjects to include; safety, inventory accounting, warehouse operations, fleet operations, and Service Center operations. Implement warehouse storage designs and racking systems that enable maximize facility throughput and usable storage space. Become the subject matter expert on APlus applications relating to Radio Frequency, Warehouse Management, basic Order Entry, Inventory Accounting, Dock Scheduling and non-APlus software applications relating to routing, fleet tracking, in-cab safety monitoring programs, and Service Management Software to instruct others and ensure compliance with stated operational policies/general practices. The Director of Operations will also serve as the subject matter expert on Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and Department of Transportation (DOT) Rules and Regulations and will periodically evaluate location Driver Qualification Files (DQF).
- Special Projects: Provide program management as needed on a number of non-routine projects to include; facility remodels, High Pile and rack permits, facility moves, software implementation relating to Operations, acquisitions and other special projects as needed. Assist with Branch requests for additional Operations Headcount. Generate special reports as needed to support both Sales and Operations requests for data analysis.
- Other Duties as Assigned: Just like it says.
- Previous Management experience required
- Degree in Supply Chain Management, Business Administration, or other related field required
- Analytical skills through both practical observations and data analysis
- Advanced Excel skills (Histograms, other charting, compiling data from multiple sources, pivot tables, VLookups, HLookups, etc.)
- Command presence and the ability to impact others through formal presentations via both the spoken and written word
- Desire to create and inspire others through one-on-one and group interactions
- The ability to articulate an opinion on a topic in the face of differing opinions
- Previous multi-site management with remote leadership is a plus
- Self-directing with an above average dose of self confidence
- A consummate professional in every sense of the word; formal education, appearance, and conduct
- Experience with Lean Six Sigma highly preferred
- Previous military experience preferred
- The ability to maintain a 50% travel schedule
Meet Some of WAXIE Sanitary Supply's Employees
Sales Manager, San Diego
Umahl oversees a team of nine sales representatives, ensuring they each have the tools they need to succeed and meet growth goals each sales period.
Back to top