Lead Building Engineer
The Lead Building Engineer is responsible for supervising engineering staff, such as building engineers and maintenance building engineers; directing vendors; and interfacing with tenants. The Lead Building Engineer is responsible for the management, coordination and execution of the day-to-day efficient operation, maintenance and repair of all building systems for a particular property. Building systems include HVAC, electrical, lighting, plumbing, energy management, and fire protection.
Essential Job Duties
- Provide direction, guidance and leadership to staff, and to the WASHREIT engineering team, as needed.
- Ensure that preventive maintenance of equipment and systems are being implemented properly and are up to date.
- Oversee the day-to-day completion, organization and accuracy of the preventive maintenance activities, incident reports, and other records for the respective property.
- Direct vendors in the performance of work. Be the point of contact to the vendor’s management regarding performance and pricing.
- Assist in budget preparation (expense and capital improvement).
- Coordinate cap improvement jobs and ensure projects are completed on time and within budget.
- Manage utility consumption and energy management programs at assigned properties.
- Provide technical problem solving to engineering staff.
- Ensure WASHREIT’s Safety program is actively implemented at each assigned property.
- Perform building inspections with engineers and follow up on deficiencies.
- Perform and assist in the installation, fabrication, construction, and repair or maintenance of complex mechanical and electrical equipment.
- Regularly required to stand, walk, reach and use arms to perform tasks as well as push and pull objects and grasp with hands.
- Frequently required to sit, stoop, crouch, kneel, crawl, balance, climb stairs and ladders, work at heights and in environments with temperature ranges both while working outside and inside. Example: snow removal using hand shovels.
- Regularly required to lift and/or move up to 20 lbs. and occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
- Minimum of 7-10 years as a building engineer, with experience directing contractors, cleaners, and staff.
- High School Diploma or equivalent educational certification preferred.
- CFC certification for the type of equipment serviced. (Universal Certification preferred)
Knoweldge, Skills, and Abilities
- Has strong knowledge and experience in operating various HVAC systems, including central plant, VAV, heat pump, and induction systems.
- Has demonstrated a consistently high level of dedication to the building engineering profession and to WASHREIT (or previous employers).
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and deal effectively with multiple, simultaneous deadlines and projects.
- Strong interpersonal and supervisory skills.
- Strong technical and problem solving abilities.
- Ability to work independently as well as a productive member of a team.
- Ability to organize, coordinates work efficiently, set priorities and optimize the performance of others.
- Demonstrate superior customer (tenant) service skills and builds this into the team.
- Demonstrate team work and sharing of resources which is a key to WASHREIT’s success.
- Possess knowledge of safe and efficient operation of all equipment, power and hand tools.
- Basic computer skills necessary to operate Building Automation System use Nexus and Ultipro systems, and some level of proficiency with MS Word and Excel.
- Familiarity with OSHA, NEC, NFPA, DEP and Life Safety codes
Back to top