Assistant Property Manager
Washington Real Estate Investment Trust (WashREIT) has a fantastic opportunity for an Assistant Property Manager (APM) for a building in our portfolio. This position requires someone who is highly detailed and who has had previous experience working in commercial property management. The position will interact with our tenants on a daily basis; therefore superior customer service is a must. The main responsibility of the APM is to assume day to day responsibilities for the property and to assist and work closely with the Property Manager (PM). The APM acts as a liaison for the PM and is the acting manager when the PM is not available to address problems. The APM interfaces and works with WashREIT associates, tenants, contractors, vendors and the general public. The APM is on call 7 days a week and 365 days a year to respond to emergencies. The APM must become familiar with the tenants, the building and lease administration, and know what the Landlord's and Tenants' lease requirements are to enforce those requirements.
REVENUE AND EXPENSES
- Assist with the collection of rents and delinquent charges for his/her properties on a monthly basis as directed by the Property Manager.
- Negotiate and challenge all service contracts for the properties to ensure that WashREIT is receiving the best possible service at the most competitive market price. Ensure quality control for all services used in accordance with WashREIT policies and practices. Monitor and track scheduled budget expenses for such services.
- Assist with tracking utilities expenditures and billings, including the preparation of related reports with EnergySolve.
- Research all problem invoices and provide an expeditious solution.
- Identify, evaluate and implement capital and operating projects for the properties as they are planned, and as directed by Property Manager. Solicit specifications and proposals for minor and major improvements based on the budget schedule. Recommend and implement improvements to increase value by reducing expenses and/or increasing income.
- Perform periodic building evaluations for each property and work with the Engineer, and the Property Manager to review problems and opportunities which could improve the property's operation and value.
- Conduct housekeeping, safety and security inspections on a regular basis to ensure the properties and buildings are well lit at night, clean, and safe for the tenants and general public.
- As needed, work closely with Tenant Coordinator to insure incident reports and insurance claim reports are filled out correctly and submitted to the insurance carrier in a timely manner.
- Participate in the coordination of tenant construction and enforcement, ensuring that the job is performed to the highest level of quality and that the tenant is satisfied with the work. The APM must manage the job under the guidance of the Property Manager and ensure that all management and building construction rules and regulations are enforced, including the collection of the required insurance certificates.
- Coordinate annual building evacuation and other fire/life safety drills as directed.
- Review and discuss architectural and engineered building, site and tenant space plans with Property Manager on a routine basis
- Track roof warranties, repairs, and expenditures through the Predictive Service roof management software.
TENANT RETENTION AND SATISFACTION
- Perform tenant visits to address any problems and build good relations with tenants at the building as needed. The APM will visit at least two (2) tenants every week as part of the tenant retention program. Any and all tenant problems or complaints will be brought to the PM's attention for action.
- Respond to all tenant complaints within one (1) hour of receipt of phone call or email in urgent situations, and no later than twenty-four (24) hours in a non-emergency situation.
- Manage and follow through on the timely execution of tenant service requests with building staff and/or outside contractors.
- Actively participate in the annual Kingsley tenant satisfaction survey process.
- Within 24 hours of a tenant vacating, inspect all vacant spaces, fill out a move-out inspection report and commence preparation of space(s) for leasing. The APM must coordinate any repairs and improvements with the Property Manager and Leasing Representative prior to starting improvements.
- Work with Tenant Coordinator to produce a vacancy report to be sent to the cleaning company and Property Manager at the end of each month for that month.
- Conduct move-out inspections as directed by Property Manager, and create the inspection report through the intranet.
- Prepare and administer the lease-defined "Exhibit C" to establish lease and rent commencement dates upon tenant move-in.
- Work harmoniously with any Tenant Coordinators, Administrative Assistants, Building Engineers and Maintenance Personnel to assist the PM in supervising daily activities, preventive maintenance and quality control programs.
- Send out correspondence as needed to confirm and follow up on actions as well as memos to tenants to communicate information on a regular basis.
- Assist in preparing annual budgets by calling all service contractors and soliciting prices by July 15 of each year for the following calendar year. Assist in soliciting bids for all service contracts that are to be increased the next year for budget purposes.
- Work closely with Tenant Coordinator to manage all aspects of the access card system for the property, including periodic audits, tracking lost cards, investigating and reporting card activity, and activating/deactivating cards as required.
- Assist with the preparation of the annual CapX Budget, as well as budget reforecast, as directed by the Property Manager.
- Administer a global, portfolio-wide contract or activity, as determined by Director.
- Review and fully understand the financial performance and results on a monthly basis. Assist the Property Manager by providing input for reasons behind variances as well as areas to improve and increase the NOI in each property as needed. Work with the Property Manager as part of his/her training on variance reporting and analysis, and income and expense strategies each month.
- Assist Property Manager in the review of annual reconciliations, and assist in the administration of all miscellaneous tenant billings.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- BS/BA degree preferred
- Minimum of 2 years' experience in real estate or property management or related business
- Ability to multi-task while meeting multiple deadlines and adhering to changing priorities.
- Must be highly proficient in Microsoft Office and possess strong analytical skills
- Must understand the basic business and legal terms of a lease and a service contract
- Working knowledge of budgeting and forecasting preferred
- Effective staff/team leadership abilities
- Must be articulate with excellent written & verbal communications skills
- Must demonstrate professionalism with the ability to react objectively
- Ability to work independently and proactively
Meet Some of Washington REIT's Employees
Vice President, Asset Management
As VP of Asset Management, Anthony oversees the office portfolio in Virginia and Washington, DC, and he adds value through that portfolio.
Back to top