(USA) Staff Software Engineer - Tech
- Rogers, AR
What you'll do...
Staff Site Reliability Engineer
Site Reliability Engineers (SREs) are responsible for keeping all production services/systems running smoothly. SREs are a blend of pragmatic operators and software craftspeople that apply sound engineering principles, operational discipline, and mature automation to environments and the codebase. Specialize in systems, be it Linux/Unix, Networking, storage systems, and more specific interest in improving reliability, performance, scalability, monitoring and measuring the distributed systems/services. Staff SREs meet the following criteria:
- Create innovative solutions to push the technical boundaries that would help business.
- Deep knowledge and expertise in 4-5 of the following areas to mentor and guide other team members.
- CI/CD automation - Building automated pipelines
- Automation - Use Ansible to efficiently manage infrastructure
- Networking - DNS, Load balancing(L4/7), TCP/IP, HTTP, SSL
- Optimize Performance and Cost across the tech stack (Network, Compute and Storage)
- Build/Use Kubernetes and containerizing systems
- Administering/Manage MySQL, MongoDB, Cassandra, Elasticsearch, Apache Storm and Apache Kafka clusters.
- Build Monitoring and Metrics platforms using Sensu/Prometheus, Grafana and integrating with Slack, X-Matters and Custom tools.
- Administering Logging platform (Scribe+ELK)
- Capacity Management
- Disaster Recovery and High Availability strategy
- Able to build a tech roadmap based on product requirements
- Able to influence team and the developers to build systems that are production ready
- Proposes and drives architectural changes to solve scale and performance issues
- Can lead large cross functional projects and define KPIs to measure success (SLA, SLO, SLI)
Collaboration and Communication:
- Drives Root Cause Analysis (RCA) along with the engineering community.
- Works with platform/engineering teams influencing designs that will improve the overall efficiency and productivity.
- Contributes to runbooks and general documentation
- Improves team practices in handoff of work and incidents
Influence and Maturity:
- Involved in hiring process - involved in interviews and qualifying candidates
- Mentors and Coaches team members
- Able to de-escalate conflicts inside and outside the team
- Writes in-depth documentation that shares knowledge
- Helps develop team members to raise the overall bar
About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That's what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We're a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world's largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service or some code, but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. Being human-led is our true disruption.
Working virtually this year has helped us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team, be more flexible in our personal lives and spend less time commuting. Today, we are reimagining the tech workplace of the future by making a permanent transition to virtual work for most of our team. Of course, being together in person is an important part of our culture and shared success. We'll collaborate in person at a regular cadence and with purpose.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Bachelor of Science and 6 years' experience in software engineering OR Master of Science and 3 years' experience in software engineering
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Back to top