(USA) Staff Software Engineer - Mobile Apps
- Sunnyvale, CA
What you'll do...
Walmart Canada operates a growing chain of 390 stores nationwide serving more than 1.2 million customers each day. Walmart Canada's flagship online store, www.walmart.ca, is visited by 400,000 customers daily. With more than 95,000 associates, Walmart Canada is one of Canada's largest employers and is ranked one of the country's top 10 most influential brands. Walmart Canada's extensive philanthropy program is focused on supporting Canadian families in need, and since 1994 Walmart has donated and raised more than $200 million to Canadian charities. Additional information can be found at walmartcanada.ca, facebook.com/walmartcanada and at twitter.com/@walmartcanada.
You'll sweep us off our feet if You....
• Design and develop scalable and performant architecture for multiple mobile teams.
• Able to understand, diagnose and then solve deep technical and performance issues across the platform.
• Able to set the technical direction and roadmap for the teams
• Lead architecture and design sessions with the teams
• Able to dig deeper into hybrid, React Native and native iOS codebases.
You'll make an impact by...
• Driving technical strategy and architecture for Walmart.ca App, Scan & Go in-store app and any other future apps team will build.
• Evaluating use of different strategies to build the app and consider Hybrid, React Native and Native strategies to build new features.
• Working closely with Product Owners, UI/UX, and other senior engineering team members to define the future architecture and system design to support new business needs.
What you'll do...
• Leads the work of other small groups of six to ten engineers, including offshore associates, for assigned Engineering projects by providing pertinent documents, direction, and examples; identifying short- and long- term solutions and timeline; reviewing and approving proposed solutions; implementing new architectural patterns; and performing design and code reviews of changes.
• Troubleshoots business and production issues by reviewing and analyzing information (for example, issue, impact, criticality, possible root cause); engaging support teams to assist in the resolution of issues; formulating an action plan; directing actions as designated in the plan; interpreting the results to determine further action; performs root cause analysis to prevent future occurrence of issues; and completing online documentation.
• Leads the discovery phase of medium to large projects to come up with high level design by partnering with the product management, Web Operations, project management, business and user experience teams; obtaining cross-function approvals; driving proof-of-concept; and implementing prototypes to validate ideas.
What you'll bring...
• BA/BS/MA/MS degree in Computer Science or closely related field or equivalent practical experience.
• 8+ years of software development experience.
• 5 years working with iOS platform either Swift or Objective-c
• Experience working with React Native is a huge asset.
• Experience working with micro-services architecture and distributed systems.
• Solid understanding of building RESTful APIs.
• Ability to clearly and effectively communicate at all levels from development to executive levels.
• A history of open-source contribution is an asset.
About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That's what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We're a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world's largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service or some code, but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. Being human-led is our true disruption.
Working virtually this year has helped us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team, be more flexible in our personal lives and spend less time commuting. Today, we are reimagining the tech workplace of the future by making a permanent transition to virtual work for most of our team. Of course, being together in person is an important part of our culture and shared success. We'll collaborate in person at a regular cadence and with purpose.
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer - By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions - while being inclusive of all people.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and 4 years' experience in software engineering or related field OR 6 years' experience in software
engineering or related field.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Master's degree in Computer Science or related field and 3 years' experience in software engineering
Back to top