(USA) Director, Software Engineering - Ecomm -Walmart+ (Membership)
- Sunnyvale, CA
What you'll do...
Director of Engineering (Membership)
What you'll do:
On the Customer Experience Engineering team at
Walmart Labs, we provide technology to power
shopping journeys that help hundreds of millions of
customers live better - be it busy families getting
groceries easily, new parents welcoming a new baby,
organizing a new home or anyone planning a fun
party. We strive to create the best shopping
experience anywhere anytime, meeting customers'
evolving needs and expectations.
Walmart Membership is pioneering the way people
experience online and in-store shopping. We are
looking for an experienced engineering leader to help
us design and improve customer membership
experience and build scalable platforms on mobile and
desktop. We are just getting started on membership
experience and this is a very critical role to shape the
face of Walmart Membership. In this role, you would
be responsible for leading a globally distributed
organization focused on scaling membership
experiences and benefits.
•10+ years of experience in various elements of
full stack software development - native mobile, web
front end, back end, and hands-on coding experience
in the past
•Deep understanding of Native mobile and web
•Hands-on experience building scalable backend
systems and platforms
•Understanding of the eCommerce technology
•Experience building and retaining high
performance teams and leading global software
engineering product teams
•Proven ability to earn respect, trust and influence
from people you work with and to mentor top
- Technical leadership experience in design,
implementation, and support of core database
services that are highly reliable, flexible, and scalable
BS/MS in information technology, computer
science or a related engineering discipline, or
You will need to:
•Have strong accountability and ownership to drive
•Collaborate effectively with various functions such
as Product, Design, Business and Operations and
influence without authority
•Be a change agent for constantly striving for
customer and engineering excellence in a rapidly
•Be a multiplier: hire 10X engineering talent,
motivate and grow them
•Create a strong engineering driven culture that
promotes diversity, innovation and creative problem
•Build and grow global teams and develop a
consistent culture remotely
More about you:
•You have probably held a number of different
leadership positions over your career so far and
figured out how to scale platforms for high throughput
•Right now, you're looking for a role that lets you
stay close to the technology and engineering
practices yet also assumes a large amount of
customer-oriented product and business engagement.
•You can apply good judgment to the steepest
software engineering challenges.
•You set high standards and have demonstrated
the ability to build and lead a high-performance team.
•You are able to think about the big picture and
don't mind being hands-on if needed. You also enjoy
building relationships with others in a highly visible,
- Develops and executes technical software development strategy for ecommerce applications and systems using current business roadmap by analyzing competitive trends and patterns; analyzing the technology landscape; evaluating short and long term implications; and communicating strategies and change initiatives clearly.
- Executes engineering projects by developing resource planning for business roadmap in advance; removing barriers to success; ensuring others have the information, training, resources, and implementation time needed to succeed; developing and upgrading work assignments and processes to accomplish goals across functions, organizations, and geographies; reviewing project progress against timeline; and developing and communicating logical, convincing justifications, including lessons learned, to build commitment and support.
- Ensures product quality by developing and executing quality assurance plan; using data and experience to determine customer needs; directing continuous improvement and eliminating non-value-added work; measuring milestones for quality; and developing mitigation plans to ensure quality.
- Reduces customer impact (for example, sales loss) due to applications systems issues by ensuring high quality using quality standards; measuring sales loss and performing root cause analysis; publishing results; and developing future prevention plan.
- Drives continuous process improvement and innovation by identifying inefficiencies in current processes; improving agility of the team; and adopting industry trends for innovation. Provides overall direction by analyzing business objectives and customer needs; developing, communicating, building support for, and implementing business strategies, plans, and practices; analyzing costs and forecasts and incorporating them into business plans; determining and supporting resource requirements; evaluating operational processes; measuring outcomes to ensure desired results; identifying and capitalizing on improvement opportunities; promoting a customer environment; and demonstrating adaptability and sponsoring continuous learning.
- Develops and implements strategies to attract and maintain a highly skilled and engaged workforce by diagnosing capability gaps; recruiting, selecting, and developing talent; supporting mentorship, workforce development, and succession planning; and leveraging the capabilities of new and existing talent.
- Cultivates an environment where associates respect and adhere to company standards of integrity and ethics by integrating these values into all programs and practices; developing consequences for violations or non-compliance; and supporting the Open Door Policy.
- Develops and leverages internal and external partnerships and networks to maximize the achievement of business goals by sponsoring and leading key community outreach and involvement initiatives; engaging key stakeholders in the development, execution, and evaluation of appropriate business plans and initiatives; and supporting associate efforts in these areas.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor of Science and 7 years' experience in software engineering
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Back to top