Staff Software Engineer - Performance Engineering
- Sunnyvale, CA
What you'll do...
Staff Software Engineer (Performance Engineering)
We are looking for a Staff Software Engineer to add to our Performance Engineering team within our Reliability Organization, Global Technology Platform area. This critical role will be responsible for making the end-to-end customer experience with Walmart as fast and compelling as possible and then some! Performance engineers at Walmart ensure that our mission-critical internal services and highly visible external multi-platform applications meet our customers' expectations while keeping an ever-watchful eye on performance. We are responsible for the big picture of how all of our systems relate to each other. Intellectual curiosity, transparency and collaboration are the key to our success.
You'll sweep us off our feet if:
- You are an experienced full stack performance engineer motivated to make all things run fast
- You are interested in scaling a highly performant ecommerce platform
- You want to define and build the next generation of digital experiences that will have an impact on hundreds of millions of customers
- You enable developers and business teams understand where bottlenecks or issues exist in their services from a performance context.
- You a self-starter who thrives in a startup-like culture
- You enjoy working on complicated technical challenges, learning from and collaborating with experienced engineers
- You want to contribute to the Open-Source community to help improve the performance and resiliency ecosystem
You'll make an impact by:
- Owning the end-to-end performance with a shift-left attitude through design, launch, and operation: Support architecture design, influence requirements, and help support new product launch.
- Tackling performance issues for cutting edge technologies: Analyze and debug difficult server-side performance issues, identify bottlenecks and optimize product/service performance to improve user experience.
- Working collaboratively with a large group of engineers from all disciplines within Engineering to improve code base performance (e.g. algorithm redesign), reduce resource consumption and shorten request latency and present findings to a group with a varying degree of technical as well as business experience.
- Providing deep visibility to what is going on for all ecommerce sites: Run performance, resiliency and capacity experiments to determine scaling and utilization parameters for various front-end and service tiers.
- Proactively investigate site performance issues in production and work with systems, network, application operations and engineering teams to discover resolutions.
- Effectively collaborate and communicate for better performance governance across all teams in Walmart. Present performance-related findings to various teams including C-level executives.
Benefits & Perks:
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer - By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions - while being inclusive of all people.
Who We Are?
Join Walmart and your work could help over 275 million global customers live better every week. Yes, we are the Fortune #1 company. But you'll quickly find we're a company who wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. A career at Walmart is where the world's most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our stores. Join us and you'll discover why we are a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement. From day one, you'll be empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life. careers.walmart.com
About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That's what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We're a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world's largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service or some code, but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. Being human led is our true disruption.
Working virtually this year has helped us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team, be more flexible in our personal lives and spend less time commuting. Today, we are reimagining the tech workplace of the future by making a permanent transition to virtual work for most of our team. Of course, being together in person is an important part of our culture and shared success. We'll collaborate in person at a regular cadence and with purpose.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and 4 years' experience in software engineering or related field OR 6 years' experience in software
engineering or related field.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Master's degree in Computer Science or related field and 3 years' experience in software engineering
Back to top