Staff Software Engineer
- Sunnyvale, CA
What you'll do...
Staff Software Engineer
Leads the work of other small groups of six to ten engineers, including offshore associates, for assigned Engineering projects by providing pertinent
documents, direction, and examples; identifying short- and long- term solutions and timeline; reviewing and approving proposed solutions; implementing new architectural patterns; and performing design and code reviews of changes.
Troubleshoots business and production issues by reviewing and analyzing information (for example, issue, impact, criticality, possible root cause);
engaging support teams to assist in the resolution of issues; formulating an action plan; directing actions as designated in the plan; interpreting the
results to determine further action; performs root cause analysis to prevent future occurrence of issues; and completing online documentation.
Leads the discovery phase of medium to large projects to come up with high level design by partnering with the product management, Web Operations, project management, business and user experience teams; obtaining cross-function approvals; driving proof-of-concept; and implementing prototypes to validate ideas.
Develops Innovation strategies, processes, and best practices by leading internal technical teams; partnering with cross-functional teams across the
business; developing assessments of key opportunities; documenting project scopes; developing long-range plans and project timelines; communicating with and influencing decision-makers and executives within the organization; and resolving technology differences across teams through informed discussions.
Leads and participates in medium- to large-scale, complex, cross-functional projects by reviewing project requirements; translating requirements into
technical solutions; gathering requested information (for example, design documents, product requirements, wire frames); writing and developing
code; conducting unit testing; communicating status and issues to team members and stakeholders; collaborating with project team and cross
functional teams; troubleshooting open issues and bug-fixes; enhancing design to prevent re-occurrences of defects; ensuring on-time delivery and hand-offs; interacting with project manager to provide input on project plan; and providing leadership to the project team.
Supports business objectives by collaborating with business partners to identify opportunities; addressing high-priority initiatives (for example,
business strategy, technical feasibility, implementation alternatives); identifying short- and long-term solutions; and leading cross-functional partnership.
Utilizes industry research to improve Wal-Mart's technology environment by analyzing industry best practices; bench marking industry against internal
processes and solutions; researching or influencing future industry solutions for fit with internal needs; and defining software development guidelines,
standards and processes.
Drives the execution of multiple business plans and projects by identifying customer and operational needs; developing and communicating business
plans and priorities; removing barriers and obstacles that impact performance; providing resources; identifying performance standards; measuring progress and adjusting performance accordingly; developing contingency plans; and demonstrating adaptability and supporting continuous learning.
Provides supervision and development opportunities for associates by selecting and training; mentoring; assigning duties; building a team-based work
environment; establishing performance expectations and conducting regular performance evaluations; providing recognition and rewards; coaching
for success and improvement; and ensuring diversity awareness. Promotes and supports company policies, procedures, mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity by training and providing direction to others in their use and application; ensuring compliance with them; and utilizing and supporting the Open Door Policy.
Ensures business needs are being met by evaluating the ongoing effectiveness of current plans, programs, and initiatives; consulting with business
partners, managers, co-workers, or other key stakeholders; soliciting, evaluating, and applying suggestions for improving efficiency and cost effectiveness; and participating in and supporting community outreach events.
About Customer Backbone
Our team works on all Walmart customer data - online, stores and off-network. We build the data pipelines and statistical data models to process millions of customer events. We work on the data that makes machine learning work outside the lab. We're proud that our work helps customers save money and live better.
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture in hybrid cloud environments (On-prem, GCP/Azure)
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources
- Build analytics tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into customer acquisition, operational efficiency and other key business performance metrics.
- Work with stakeholders to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Evangelize best practices through tech talks or business unit tech councils and apply in architectures and designs
- Own and implement best practices for supportability, debuggability, monitoring, alerting, dashboarding, CI/CD etc.
- Own and ensure all relevant guidelines (Ex: code review process, code branching strategies, logging best practices etc.) are always followed in the project
- Ensure all the deliverables meets the defined business requirements, non-functional requirements, low-maintainability, high-availability and high-scalability needs
- Lead the team's strategic direction by adapting change of technologies and actively contributes towards the personal development of the team members.
- Work towards improving engineering excellence and the value delivered by the team
- Able to context switch between multiple priorities as needed
- Lead and participate in medium- to large-scale projects by reviewing project requirements; translating requirements into technical solutions; gathering requested information (for example, design documents, product requirements, wire frames); writing and developing code; conducting unit testing; communicating status and issues to team members and stakeholders; collaborating with project team and cross functional teams; troubleshooting open issues and bug-fixes; ensuring on-time delivery and hand-offs; interacting with project manager to provide input on project plan; and providing leadership to the project team.
- Lead the work of other small groups of four to six engineers, for assigned Engineering projects by proving pertinent documents, direction, and examples; identifying short and long term solutions and timeline; reviewing and providing feedback for proposed solutions; and performing design and code reviews of changes.
- Provide support to the business by responding to user's questions, concerns, and issues (for example, technical feasibility, implementation strategies); identifying short- and long-term solutions; facilitating resolutions; and leading cross-functional partnership.
- Lead the discovery phase of medium to large projects to come up with high level design by partnering with the product management, project management, business and user experience teams; and obtaining cross-function approvals.
- Demonstrate up-to-date expertise and apply it to the development, execution, and improvement of action plans by providing expert advice and guidance to others in the application of information and best practices; supporting and aligning efforts to meet customer and business needs; and building.
- Provide and support the implementation of business solutions by building relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders; identifying business needs; determining and carrying out necessary processes and practices; monitoring progress and results; recognizing and capitalizing on improvement opportunities; and adapting to competing demands, organizational changes, and new responsibilities.
You'll sweep us off our feet if...
Experience building and optimizing BigData data pipelines, architectures and data sets
Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
Experience with big data tools: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc.
Experience with stream-processing systems: Storm, Spark Streaming, Kafka Streams etc.
Experience with relational SQL and NoSQL databases, including Postgres and Cassandra.
Experience with object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python, Java, Scala, etc.
Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools: Airflow, Azkaban, Luigi, Oozie, Nifi, etc.
8+ years of experience in a Data Engineer role, with at least a B.S. (or equivalent) in Computer Science or related major, M.S in Computer science or related major, preferred
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Benefits & Perks
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer - By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions - while being inclusive of all people.
Who We Are
Join Walmart and your work could help over 275 million global customers live better every week. Yes, we are the Fortune #1 company. But you'll quickly find we're a company who wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. A career at Walmart is where the world's most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our stores. Join us and you'll discover why we are a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement. From day one, you'll be empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life
About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That's what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We're a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world's largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service or some code, but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. Being human-led is our true disruption.
Working virtually this year has helped us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team, be more flexible in our personal lives and spend less time commuting. Today, we are reimagining the tech workplace of the future by making a permanent transition to virtual work for most of our team. Of course, being together in person is an important part of our culture and shared success. We'll collaborate in person at a regular cadence and with purpose.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and 4 years' experience in software engineering or related field OR 6 years' experience in software
engineering or related field.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Master's degree in Computer Science or related field and 3 years' experience in software engineering
Back to top