What you'll do...
Distinguished Architect Software Engineer
Delivers high quality products by developing and executing strategies for quality assurance, including mitigation plans to ensure quality; leveraging experience, insight, competitive analysis, and data to determine how to best exceed customer and member needs; sponsoring, developing, and influencing continuous improvement initiatives; eliminating non-value-added work; and measuring and monitoring milestones for quality.
Ensures the successful execution of engineering projects by developing and implementing plans to ensure others have the information, training, resources, and implementation time to succeed; removing barriers to delivering customer/member value, service, and support; reviewing project progress against timelines; developing and upgrading work assignments and processes to accomplish goals across functions, organizations, and geographies; and building commitment and support for initiatives using logical, convincing justifications, including lessons learned.
Drives continuous process improvement and innovation by identifying inefficiencies in current processes; improving agility of the team; and adopting industry trends for innovation.
Delivers new products and manages one or more existing applications with minimum customer impact due to sales loss by ensuring that high quality standards are met throughout the delivery process; presenting and publishing analysis results; and developing plans and procedures to prevent future sales loss.
Develops technical strategies for eCommerce applications and systems by promoting an understanding of the technology and business roadmap; predicting, evaluating, and integrating new complexities, challenges, and responsibilities; sponsoring programs and initiatives to improve organizational adaptability and continuous learning capabilities; analyzing competitive trends and patterns; influencing business and product roadmaps; evaluating short- and long-term implications of decisions; and communicating strategies, change initiatives, and competitive information in clear and compelling ways.
Provides overall direction by analyzing business objectives and customer needs; developing, communicating, building support for, and implementing business strategies, plans, and practices; analyzing costs and forecasts and incorporating them into business plans; determining and supporting resource requirements; evaluating operational processes; measuring outcomes to ensure desired results; identifying and capitalizing on improvement opportunities; promoting a customer environment; and demonstrating adaptability and sponsoring continuous learning.
Develops and implements strategies to attract and maintain a highly skilled and engaged workforce by diagnosing capability gaps; recruiting, selecting, and developing talent; supporting mentorship, workforce development, and succession planning; and leveraging the capabilities of new and
Cultivates an environment where associates respect and adhere to company standards of integrity and ethics by integrating these values into all programs and practices; developing consequences for violations or non-compliance; and supporting the Open Door Policy.
Develops and leverages internal and external partnerships and networks to maximize the achievement of business goals by sponsoring and leading key community outreach and involvement initiatives; engaging key stakeholders in the development, execution, and evaluation of appropriate business plans and initiatives; and supporting associate efforts in these areas.
• Work closely with the Global Chief Architect and contribute to the enterprise architectural standards
• Work with Engineering leaders across Global Tech teams to improve leverage and contribute to agility, responsiveness, and lower total cost of ownership
• Work with Global Tech teams and drive the creation of a common technology architecture and roadmap
• Work with product leaders, engineering leaders and business stakeholders and contribute to (and influence) evolving the right product roadmap
• Contribute to raising the bar for engineering excellence across the entire org.
• Thoroughly understanding company direction, goals, and the competitive environment, and determining how architecture choices can add value to the organization
• Develop an architectural roadmap, maintaining current and planned architectural blueprints
• Ensuring that the solutions are scalable (technology), efficient (processes), effective (cost), and supportable
• Communicating architectural decisions, plans, goals, and strategies, and highlighting short-term trade-offs vs long-term commitments to technology leadership and stakeholders
• Responsible for implementation of the technical architecture vision and roadmap across all markets.
• Analyze the technology industry and market trends to determine their potential impact on the enterprise architecture and make appropriate recommendations to improve the speed of development/infrastructure, quality, and innovation. Actively engage and challenge to identify new ideas, ways to leverage technology and new trends in the technology market to foster innovation.
• Developing architectural metrics and reports and providing code reviews
• Track and apply innovative and existing technologies, anchoring them in the business model to assess their potential, and use rapid prototyping approaches to evolve innovations
• Lead analysis of the business' future-state capabilities and future (and current) IT environment to detect critical deficiencies and recommend solutions for improvement and driving the business forward
Thought leadership -
• Providing thought leadership and advice to architects, technical leads, and software engineers
• Understand and implement new technology development and trend in the industry, and develop short-, middle-, and longer-term digital architecture roadmaps to help the company stay ahead of competition
• Guide and mentor software engineers and associates to develop an in depth understanding of technology and the technical vision behind the architecture
You'll sweep us off our feet if...
- Architect experience that is still technical and has experience leading and influencing change
- Proficient in cloud native application
- Experience building resilient systems that scale
- Experience working across time zones
- Familiarity with DevOps
- Experience with the following: Operational Excellence, Security, Reliability, Performance Efficiency, and Cost Optimization
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
Benefits & Perks
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer - By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions - while being inclusive of all people.
Who We Are
Join Walmart and your work could help over 275 million global customers live better every week. Yes, we are the Fortune #1 company. But you'll quickly find we're a company who wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. A career at Walmart is where the world's most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our stores. Join us and you'll discover why we are a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement. From day one, you'll be empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life
About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That's what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We're a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world's largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service or some code, but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. Being human-led is our true disruption.
Working virtually this year has helped us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team, be more flexible in our personal lives and spend less time commuting. Today, we are reimagining the tech workplace of the future by making a permanent transition to virtual work for most of our team. Of course, being together in person is an important part of our culture and shared success. We'll collaborate in person at a regular cadence and with purpose.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and 7 years' experience in software engineering or related field OR 9 years' experience in software
engineering or related field.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Master's degree in Computer Science or related field and 6 years' experience in software engineering