Senior Director I, Software Engineering - Technology
- Reston, VA
What you'll do...
Our people make the difference-and that means all our people. Throughout our history, it has always been our associates who have been the key to our success, and it will remain that way in the future. Walmart values diverse backgrounds, experiences, ideas and mindsets. We welcome all types of talent where your story is included, and you bring your whole self to work! Walmart is a place where any associate can build their dreams and grow.
Senior Director, Software Engineer
You will be accountable for a large distributed engineering team, tasked with building and enhancing a market leading platform with key business partners on multiple continents with the purpose of providing the best digital experience to store associates. Lead the design and architecture of cloud and mobile solutions for our Walmart Stores globally. The team is responsible for advanced store automation projects. This people leader will be responsible for the technical mentorship and professional development of over 100 engineers across two main locations. We believe in close collaboration to build products and services that meet our customer's needs. The successful person in this role will be a student of the business, proactively recommending viable solutions that meet Walmart's global stores team's needs. The best candidate will embrace our culture of servant leadership and cross-team collaboration; working closely with other senior leaders in shaping our strategy and execution. The role requires a visionary leader who loves technology and loves leading people - and will help us evolve as technology and customer needs constantly change.
- Delivers high quality products by developing and executing strategies for quality assurance, including mitigation plans to ensure quality; leveraging experience, insight, competitive analysis, and data to determine how to best exceed customer and member needs; sponsoring, developing, and influencing continuous improvement initiatives; eliminating non-value-added work; and measuring and monitoring milestones for quality.
- Delivers new products and manages one or more existing applications with minimum customer impact due to sales loss by ensuring that high quality standards are met throughout the delivery process; presenting and publishing analysis results; and developing plans and procedures to prevent future sales loss.
- Develops technical strategies for eCommerce applications and systems by promoting an understanding of the technology and business roadmap; predicting, evaluating, and integrating new complexities, challenges, and responsibilities; sponsoring programs and initiatives to improve organizational adaptability and continuous learning capabilities; analyzing competitive trends and patterns; influencing business and product roadmaps; evaluating short- and long-term implications of decisions; and communicating strategies, change initiatives, and competitive information in clear and compelling ways.
- Ensures the successful execution of engineering projects by developing and implementing plans to ensure others have the information, training, resources, and implementation time to succeed; removing barriers to delivering customer/member value, service, and support; reviewing project progress against timelines; developing and upgrading work assignments and processes to accomplish goals across functions, organizations, and geographies; and building commitment and support for initiatives using logical, convincing justifications, including lessons learned.
- Drives continuous process improvement and innovation by identifying inefficiencies in current processes; improving agility of the team; and adopting industry trends for innovation. Provides overall direction by analyzing business objectives and customer needs; developing, communicating, building support for, and implementing business strategies, plans, and practices; analyzing costs and forecasts and incorporating them into business plans; determining and supporting resource requirements; evaluating operational processes; measuring outcomes to ensure desired results; identifying and capitalizing on improvement opportunities; promoting a customer environment; and demonstrating adaptability and sponsoring continuous learning. Develops and implements strategies to attract and maintain a highly skilled and engaged workforce by diagnosing capability gaps; recruiting, selecting, and developing talent; supporting mentorship, workforce development, and succession planning; and leveraging the capabilities of new and existing talent. Cultivates an environment where associates respect and adhere to company standards of integrity and ethics by integrating these values into all programs and practices; developing consequences for violations or non-compliance; and supporting the Open Door Policy. Develops and leverages internal and external partnerships and networks to maximize the achievement of business goals by sponsoring and leading key community outreach and involvement initiatives; engaging key stakeholders in the development, execution, and evaluation of appropriate business plans and initiatives; and supporting associate efforts in these areas.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and 7 years' experience in software engineering or related field OR 9 years' experience in software
engineering or related field.
4 years' supervisory experience
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Master's degree in Computer Science or related field and 6 years' experience in software engineering
Back to top