Director, Software Engineering - Ecomm - Emerging Tech
- Sunnyvale, CA
What you'll do...
Develops and executes technical software development strategy for ecommerce applications and systems using current business roadmap by analyzing competitive trends and patterns; analyzing the technology landscape; evaluating short and long term implications; and communicating strategies and change initiatives clearly.
Executes engineering projects by developing resource planning for business roadmap in advance; removing barriers to success; ensuring others have the information, training, resources, and implementation time needed to succeed; developing and upgrading work assignments and processes to accomplish goals across functions, organizations, and geographies; reviewing project progress against timeline; and developing and communicating logical, convincing justifications, including lessons learned, to build commitment and support.
Ensures product quality by developing and executing quality assurance plan; using data and experience to determine customer needs; directing continuous improvement and eliminating non-value-added work; measuring milestones for quality; and developing mitigation plans to ensure quality.
Reduces customer impact (for example, sales loss) due to applications systems issues by ensuring high quality using quality standards; measuring sales loss and performing root cause analysis; publishing results; and developing future prevention plan.
Drives continuous process improvement and innovation by identifying inefficiencies in current processes; improving agility of the team; and adopting industry trends for innovation. Provides overall direction by analyzing business objectives and customer needs; developing, communicating, building support for, and implementing business strategies, plans, and practices; analyzing costs and forecasts and incorporating them into business plans; determining and supporting resource requirements; evaluating operational processes; measuring outcomes to ensure desired results; identifying and capitalizing on improvement opportunities; promoting a customer environment; and demonstrating adaptability and sponsoring continuous learning. Develops and implements strategies to attract and maintain a highly skilled and engaged workforce by diagnosing capability gaps; recruiting, selecting, and developing talent; supporting mentorship, workforce development, and succession planning; and leveraging the capabilities of new and existing talent. Cultivates an environment where associates respect and adhere to company standards of integrity and ethics by integrating these values into all programs and practices; developing consequences for violations or non-compliance; and supporting the Open Door Policy. Develops and leverages internal and external partnerships and networks to maximize the achievement of business goals by sponsoring and leading key community outreach and involvement initiatives; engaging key stakeholders in the development, execution, and evaluation of appropriate business plans and initiatives; and supporting associate efforts in these areas.
The Walmart Emerging-Tech group is a new group charted to drive the creation of the next-generation retail and shopping experiences for both online and in-store. The group leads Walmarts efforts in the areas of Conversational AI, Voice Assistants, Extended Reality and more. The group's focus is to explore and build prototypes of innovative shopping experiences and build platforms to enable scaling of these experiences.
As an example, the voice assistant team within this group has launched experiences like AskSam for associates and Walmart Voice Order for customers (https://medium.com/walmartglobaltech/building-a-conversational-assistant-platform-for-voice-enabled-shopping-6d174cdc4131). In addition to the end-user experiences the group also builds platform APIs and tools to enable other teams within Walmart to build and scale experiences using these next-generation technologies.
As part of this emerging-tech group we are currently looking for an experienced and talented engineering leader who can build the infrastructure and platform for creating the next-generation of extended-reality/AR experiences.
In this role, you will
- Hire, mentor and lead a world class group of engineers to solve real customer problems by creating next-gen AR shopping experiences
- Design, prototype and build new and innovative AR retail experiences to accelerate AR adoption across the company.
- Play a critical role in shaping the product & technical vision for the team while working closely with product, business and engineering leadership across the company on a regular basis
- Nurture the culture of experimentation and fail fast
- Solve real customer problems and help hundreds of millions of Walmart customers to save money and live better
- Strong design, architecture, and problem-solving skills.
- Strong track record of hiring and developing talent with 10+ years engineering management experience and 2+ years of experience managing multiple software engineering teams (manager of managers)
- Multiple years of experience leading end-to-end engineering teams building consumer mobile apps and/or AR/VR products.
- Passion for building data driven culture, growing talents and hunger for making big impact
- Strong interest and curiosity in leveraging the latest in tech to solve customer problems
- Experience in communicating with end users, technical & business teams to collect requirements, describe product features, and technical designs
Manager's Preferred Qualifications :
- Prior experience building and launching AR/Vision/VR products and/or services
- Background in e-commerce or retail
- Experience building and lunching mobile apps for iOS and Android
- Experience with building products leveraging computer vision and/or ML/deep learning
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor of Science and 7 years' experience in software engineering
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Back to top