- Rogers, AR
What you'll do...
Are you a hardco--re numbers person who would enjoy solving some of business' toughest challenges by illuminating phenomena and opportunity held within one of the world's largest data sets? The mammoth scale and volume of our global data is virtually limitless. As a data scientist, you will create insights that influence how we make decisions that have impact at an unprecedented scale.
You will have the opportunity to do your best work while unlocking vast business opportunity by extracting key insights using a wide range of advanced statistical models and machine learning and translating results into goal-oriented business actions. Each day, you will be presented with a variety of new challenges and interesting projects that tap your interests and strengths.
The Store Associate Technology Data Science and Data Engineering Team is hiring Data Scientists to join our team of data scientists and data engineers. Our team chartered with developing statistical and machine learning systems and building a robust platform to enable the application of data science to in-store technology. We work closely with each other, software developers from other teams, and the business stakeholders. Data scientists in our team participate in the full life cycle of model development, which spans from business problem discovery to model deployment and monitoring.
You'll make an impact by:
Participating in the full life cycle of model development, which spans from business problem discovery, data discovery to model deployment and monitoring.
Specifically, you will
- Work with business stakeholders to understand the business requirements and the data available to solve the corresponding problems
- Translate the business requirements to a problem that can be solved using statistical and/or machine learning techniques
- Build datasets from different sources for data analysis and model development, which will include wrangling, cleaning, and pre-processing data
- Conduct exploratory data analysis to understand the patterns and potential business insights exhibited in the data
- Create data visualization to summarize the insights discovered during the data analysis and communicate them to internal team members and business stakeholders
- Develop statistical and machine learning models to solve business problems and derive actionable business insights
- Work with data engineers to test and validate training and production data pipelines, among other tasks
- Help deploy models in various formats
- Derive metrics for model performance monitoring and conduct continuous model performance monitoring (after deployment)
- Present insights discovered from data analysis and statistical/machine learning modeling and make recommendation based on the results to internal team members and business stakeholders
- Be proactive and take ownership of the projects and tasks assigned
- Provide and support the implementation of business solutions
- Collaborate with other data scientists and data engineers in our team
- Own components of a data science project
- Coach junior team members and share knowledge with the broader team
- Continue to widen and deepen data science and engineering skillsets
- Live by our Company culture and values
- Adhere to model compliance with company policies and procedures, and supporting company mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity
You'll sweep us off our feet if...
- You're an inquisitive, out-of-the box thinker who's continually on the lookout for opportunities to improve and innovate data science solutions
- You have consistently high standards, your passion for quality is inherent in everything that you do
- You have the courage to fail fast
- You have proven ability as a full stack data scientist who develops, optimizes, and scales models for the production environment
- You have proven industry experience of designing, leading, and managing large-scale data science projects and collaborating with data engineers
- You connect the how and why, using your knowledge of data science theories and methodologies to derive the best approach that is fit-for-purpose
- You have a very strong understanding of the fundamental concepts of popular statistical and machine learning models
- You're experienced with general programing, statistical languages, and deep learning packages used to manipulate data and build statistical and machine learning models at a large scale, such as Python, R, Spark, PyTorch, Tensorflow, Keras, SQL, and SQL-like query languages for NoSQL databases
- You're proficient using database technologies, distributed datastores, and cloud computer (e.g. GCP)
- You are organized and have excellent verbal and written communication skills and presentation skills
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed in the role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. The full Job Description can be made available as part of the hiring process.
- Option 1: Bachelor's degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and 2 years' experience in an analytics or related field.
- Option 2: Master's degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field.
- Option 3: 4 years' experience in an analytics or related field.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Master's or Doctoral degree in Computer Science (with a focus in Data Mining, Machine Learning and at least one of its disciplines, such as Natural Language Processing and Computer Vision), Statistics, Econometrics, Computational Neuroscience, Operational Research, Physics, or any other quantitative disciplines that require processing and modeling data at a large scale
- 2+ years of relevant industry experience
- Proficient in Python, SQL, Spark, the associated Python and Spark packages commonly used by data scientists, and Deep Learning libraries, such as Tensorflow, Keras, and PyTorch
- Proficient in other languages, such as R, used in data science is a plus
- Strong understanding of and practical experience in a wide-range of machine learning algorithms
- Good understanding of and practical experience with statistical modeling
- Practical experience of using cloud computing
- Experience working with large structured and unstructured datasets
- Working knowledge of relational and NOSQL databases
- Basic knowledge of data engineering is a plus
- Certificates earned in data mining, machine learning, deep learning, statistical modeling, cloud computing, and data engineering is a plus
- Interested in applying data science to solving retail-related problems
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Benefits & Perks:
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer - By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions - while being inclusive of all people.
Who We Are
Join Walmart and your work could help over 275 million global customers live better every week. Yes, we are the Fortune #1 company. But you'll quickly find we're a company who wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. A career at Walmart is where the world's most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our stores. Join us and you'll discover why we are a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement. From day one, you'll be empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life. careers.walmart.com
About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile on their face. That's what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We're a team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service professionals within Walmart, the world's largest retailer, delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks like an app, service or some code, but Walmart has always been about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our innovations. Being human-led is our true disruption.
Working virtually this year has helped us make quicker decisions, remove location barriers across our global team, be more flexible in our personal lives and spend less time commuting. Today, we are reimagining the tech workplace of the future by making a permanent transition to virtual work for most of our team. Of course, being together in person is an important part of our culture and shared success. We'll collaborate in person at a regular cadence and with purpose.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.
Option 1: Bachelors degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and 2
years' experience in an analytics or related field. Option 2: Masters degree in Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science,
Information Technology or related field. Option 3: 4 years' experience in an analytics or related field.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.
Data science, machine learning, optimization models, Master's degree in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Information Technology, Operations Research, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Econometrics, Successful completion of one or more assessments in Python, Spark, Scala, or R, Using open source frameworks (for example, scikit learn, tensorflow, torch)
Primary Location...805 SE MOBERLY LN, BENTONVILLE, AR 72712, United States of America
Back to top