Software Engineer, Server
You will build tools that push the limits of what we can do with photos and video on mobile. You are motivated by having a direct impact on the expression and education of millions of global creators, and helping them invest in themselves with intention. There is no higher order than an exceptional product. Clean code is implied.
VSCO is seeking a software engineer to join our engineering team in Chicago. This team is responsible for building and maintaining backend services and systems that enable creative expression across VSCO creation tools and the overall VSCO community. This group also specializes in running high-throughput, reliable services. You will partner with product management, designers, data science and leadership teams to create compelling new experiences across all of VSCO. In partnership with your team, you will manage 100+ Go services and workers running on Kubernetes, as well as a gRPC that support millions of users.
- Design and build highly-scaled backend services and systems
- Build functionalities for features such as feed, image and video serving, notifications, messaging, ML ranking and recommendation serving, etc.
- Partner with other engineers on the team to solve unique distributed system design and implementation challenges
- Collaborate across engineering/product/design/marketing to deliver and launch projects
- Identify and fix issues to improve the scalability, performance and simplicity of our systems
- BS in Computer Science or similar technical field, or equivalent experience
- 2+ years experience developing backend systems
- Strong software engineering best practices (e.g. coding, unit testing, code reviews, design documentation)
- Solid understanding of CS fundamentals
- Aspiration to solve challenging problems, eagerness for continued learning, effective communication skills and a desire to work in a collaborative environment
Nice to have
- Expertise with highly-scaled distributed systems
- A deep appreciation for photography and the visual arts
Back to top