Software Engineer, Server
You will build tools that push the limits of what we can do with photos and video on mobile. You are motivated by having a direct impact on the expression and education of millions of global creators, and helping them invest in themselves with intention. There is no higher order than an exceptional product. Clean code is implied.
The VSCO server team is responsible for building and maintaining backend services and systems that enable creative expression across VSCO creation tools and the overall VSCO community. They partner with product management, designers, data science, and leadership teams to create compelling new experiences across all of VSCO. This engineering team manages 100+ Go services and workers running on Kubernetes, as well as a gRPC that support millions of users. They also specialize in running high-throughput, reliable services.
- Design and build highly-scaled backend services and systems
- Build functionalities for features such as feed, image and video serving, notifications, messaging, ML ranking and recommendation serving, etc.
- Partner with other engineers on the team to solve difficult and exciting distributed system design and implementation problems
- Collaborate across engineering/product/design/marketing to deliver and launch projects
- Identify and fix issues to improve scalability, performance, and simplicity of our systems
- BS in Computer Science or similar technical field, or equivalent experience
- 2+ years experience developing backend systems
- Strong software engineering best practices (e.g. coding, unit testing, code reviews, design documentation)
- Solid understanding of CS fundamentals
- Aspiration to solve challenging problems, eagerness for continued learning, effective communication skills, and desire to work in a collaborative environment
Nice to have
- Expertise with highly-scaled distributed systems
- A deep appreciation for photography and the visual arts
VSCO is a photo company. We build creative tools and a community driven by self-expression. Our mission is to equip, educate, and inspire anyone on the journey towards realizing their creative potential.
Free delicious breakfasts and lunches daily, amazing snack selections, and the best coffee in the Bay Area. Equity, health, vision and dental insurance for families, and a flexible vacation policy.
We value the creative process and our employees’ opinions — input is encouraged, regardless of your position or title. We want to work with people who are driven and demonstrate initiative in taking our mission to the next level.
The Working Life
At VSCO, everyone works hard but also takes the time to enjoy life outside of the office. Balance is important to us.
It Won’t Be Boring
Try new things. Think outside the box. We celebrate an environment that fights stagnation and challenges the status quo.
Interested in this position?
Tell us why you want to work at VSCO and what we should know about you.
VSCO believes in building a safe place for creative expression and celebrating that which makes us human, welcoming unique and personal backgrounds and experiences. We’re proud to foster diverse perspectives within VSCO as we continue to build an inclusive culture.
Back to top