Engineering Manager, Foundation
Creating an environment where people do their best work is a key strength and motivator for you. You care deeply about building great software that powers the heart of VSCO’s global creative audience. You are a thoughtful leader that draws energy from mentoring and growing others. You prioritize people always and understand the work of the whole is better than that of one individual.
VSCO is seeking an Engineering Manager to lead the team responsible for VSCO’s backend services. You will be responsible for providing technical guidance and leadership for a core area of our global product, and for leading and guiding a team of world-class engineers to do their best work every day. This team is responsible for building and maintaining scalable, low-latency, and reliable backend services that enable creative expression across VSCO creation tools and the overall VSCO community. You will partner with Product and Technical Product Management, Design, Marketing, and Leadership teams to create compelling new experiences across all of VSCO. In partnership with your team, you will manage 100+ Go services and workers running on Kubernetes and communicating over gRPC, supporting tens of millions of users.
- Build and manage the team responsible for VSCO’s core backend services — supporting areas from the social platform, to our experimentation platform, to our subscriptions product
- Be a key part of making long-term strategic technical decisions that impact key metrics at a company level
- Provide design and architectural feedback; use your technical insights to guide discussions
- Maintain a culture of high-morale on both your direct team as well as the overarching engineering team, and provide thoughtful career-growth management
- Build your team, hand-in-hand with our People Ops team; invest time and build scalable processes to source, screen, interview and hire people that elevate our team
- Coordinate the longer term roadmap with cross-functional teams, including Product, Design, Marketing and Leadership
- 2+ years of experience in an engineering leadership role, with hands-on technical management expertise
- 4+ years of experience developing backend systems
- Working knowledge of building highly-scalable distributed systems and microservice architectures
- Well versed in partnering and executing alongside cross-functional feature teams
- Expertise in roadmapping and delivering on feature work, alongside core infrastructure work
- Experience solving business-wide challenges, beyond engineering
Nice to have
- Experience with Kubernetes or other containerized systems, Bazel, gRPC (or alternatives)
- Familiarity with agile or Lean methodologies
- A deep appreciation for photography and/or other aspects of the arts
Meet Some of VSCO's Employees
Samantha B.Software Engineer (Since filming, Sam has been promoted to an Engineering Manager)
Samantha builds out VSCO’s social features. Being a software engineer in a growing company, Samantha broadened her experiences by working on different teams in various roles.
Back to top