VSA Partners is a design-driven branding and marketing company.
VSA was founded as a design firm more than 30 years ago with the belief that design is not only a craft, but a tool for achieving business objectives. As design thinkers, we approach business challenges holistically and aim to break down silos between branding, digital, marketing and advertising.
VSA's Content Practice provides brand and marketing audiences with meaningful content and communications that solve clients’ business problems. Across multiple forms, media and channels, we unite the art and engineering of content—strategizing, concepting, structuring, creating, adapting, publishing and measuring.
The Senior Writer is a conceptual thinker who helps brands communicate with the world. In this role, you'll approach projects both creatively and strategically, writing in (and often creating) the voices of a wide variety of brands.
Your work will make its way all the way upstream (i.e. C-Suite and stakeholders), all the way downstream (i.e. end-users), and touch everyone in between. You might come up with a brand idea one day, write an article the next, name a product the next, and create an ad the next. Short-form, long-form, journalistic, anthemic...you name it—as the Senior Writer, anything involving language is fair game.
- Work independently to develop unique concepts and content that solve clients’ business and brand challenges.
- Think visually as well as verbally, contributing from the outset to the structure, look and feel of a client project.
- Interact closely with Designers and Creative Directors to create and refine content for a chosen design direction, identifying alternative message strategies for achieving clients’ objectives.
- Perform effectively at concepting, group brainstorming, and writing of placeholder copy, working both independently and collaboratively.
- Collaborate in the development and definition of the “voice” for a client, a program or individual project.
- Establish and/or interpret brand positioning, tone and attributes effectively.
- Demonstrate use of logic in structuring content, and offer the creative team strategic thinking and knowledge of business and marketing principles.
- Interact effectively with subject-matter experts on client staff to obtain background information, and skillfully interview and gather information directly.
- Contribute to and edit creative or strategic briefs presented to clients.
- Contribute to solutions to sensitive or difficult client issues in conjunction with Engagement Lead and Project Manager.
- Participate in creative presentations to clients.
- Observe and manage to deadlines.
- Identify and evaluate potential freelance writing resources and direct them on behalf of clients and the creative team, as needed.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
- 4-8 years of experience in communications, business, marketing, advertising or a related field.
- An undergraduate degree in English, Journalism, Communications, Advertising or Integrated/Strategic Communications.
- Experience in an agency or similar client services environment is preferred.
- A strong vocabulary, expertise in English usage, and comfort with multiple and often complex writing assignments, styles and disciplines.
- Ability to focus on user priorities and needs in structuring content, and to offer the team strategic thinking and knowledge of business, brand and marketing principles.
- Capability to effectively articulate, present and explain writing choices.
- Ability to produce work quickly, with strength in observing and managing to deadlines.
- Ability to interact at all levels of the company and with external parties in a professional manner maintaining effective communication, both written and spoken.
- Skills in complex problem solving, judgment, critical thinking and decision-making.
- Versatility and agility in handling multiple projects and reprioritizations.
- Ability to organize information, prioritize, have attention to detail, and accurately follow procedures.
- Ability to maintain self-motivation and to work independently in team environments.
Back to top