VSA Partners is a group of dedicated, collaborative and kind people that values smarts over egos. We work very hard to create human-centered, insight-inspired work that moves people, changes behavior, and answers real strategic problems. We started as a design firm over 30 years ago and operate today with a “design thinking” approach to everything we do. Formally, we’re a branding and marketing company that approaches business challenges holistically and aims to break down silos between branding, digital, marketing and advertising. Informally, we’re a family that comes together at the table every day to make something great.
The Senior Writer is responsible developing relevant, memorable and highly creative communications for clients through language and ideas that support strategy, design, and brand expression.
- Work independently to develop unique concepts and content that solve clients’ business and brand challenges.
- Think visually as well as verbally, contributing from the outset to the structure, look and feel of a client project.
- Interact closely with Designers and Creative Directors to create and refine content for a chosen design direction, identifying alternative message strategies for achieving clients’ objectives.
- Perform effectively at concepting, group brainstorming, and writing of placeholder copy, working both independently and collaboratively.
- Collaborate in the development and definition of the “voice” for a client, a program or individual project.
- Establish and/or interpret brand positioning, tone and attributes effectively.
- Demonstrate use of logic in structuring content, and offer the creative team strategic thinking and knowledge of business and marketing principles.
- Interact effectively with subject-matter experts on client staff to obtain background information, and skillfully interview and gather information directly.
- Contribute to and edit creative or strategic briefs presented to clients.
- Contribute to solutions to sensitive or difficult client issues in conjunction with Engagement Lead and Project Manager.
- Participate in creative presentations to clients.
- Observe and manage to deadlines.
- Identify and evaluate potential freelance writing resources and direct them on behalf of clients and the creative team, as needed.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
- 5 or more years of experience in communications, business, marketing, advertising or a related field.
- An undergraduate degree in English, Journalism, Communications, Advertising or Integrated/Strategic Communications.
- Experience in an agency or similar client services environment is preferred.
- A strong vocabulary, expertise in English usage, and comfort with multiple and often complex writing assignments, styles and disciplines.
- Ability to focus on user priorities and needs in structuring content, and to offer the team strategic thinking and knowledge of business, brand and marketing principles.
- Capability to effectively articulate, present and explain writing choices.
- Ability to produce work quickly, with strength in observing and managing to deadlines.
- Ability to interact at all levels of the company and with external parties in a professional manner maintaining effective communication, both written and spoken.
- Skills in complex problem solving, judgment, critical thinking and decision-making.
- Versatility and agility in handling multiple projects and reprioritizations.
- Ability to organize information, prioritize, have attention to detail, and accurately follow procedures.
- Ability to maintain self-motivation and to work independently in team environments.
- Some evenings and weekend work may occasionally be necessary.
Back to top