Director, Experience Architecture
We are a group of dedicated, collaborative and kind people that value smarts over egos. We work very hard to create human-centered, insight-inspired work that moves people, changes behavior and addresses real strategic problems. We started as a design firm more than 30 years ago and operate today with a design thinking approach to everything we do.
Formally, we’re a branding and marketing company that approaches business challenges holistically and aims to break down silos between branding, digital, marketing and advertising. Informally, we’re a family that comes together at the table every day to make something great.
VSA’s Experience Architecture discipline exists to guide and inspire human interaction. At points where brands and business need to engage their audiences, we isolate areas of opportunity and design digital experiences that transform interactions, elevate understanding and enhance value for our our clients and their customers.
The Director, Experience Architecture will play a leadership role on a dynamic team that will be responsible for conceptualizing, designing, refining, and activating next generation interactive systems. For a portion of work within VSA, he/she will be responsible for all aspects of XA, from new business development, to UX research and strategy, experience design, build facilitation, and end user evaluation. The Director will help decipher client requests, plan the course of projects and guide the creation of compelling experiences that balance user intent, clients’ needs, and practical constraints.
- Contribute to new business development efforts, including pitches, RFP responses, and drafting sections in statements of work.
- Think beyond individual projects and collaborate directly with clients and develop programmatic solutions.
- Work with other disciplines on project scopes by deciding on appropriate XA activities, deliverables, resource-hours, and timing.
- Work with the XA Discipline Lead on staffing XA team members to new projects.
- Lead the UX work of multiple engagements, directing the work of other Experience Architects.
- In addition to leading, also execute UX project work in an example-setting manner.
- Include VSA and XA team needs alongside client and user needs on the projects they oversee.
- Help evangelize and sell XA services and methods both within VSA and externally.
- Take a leadership role in developing unique concepts and plan solutions to meet clients’ needs.
- Interpret client needs and interact closely with team to create and refine chosen direction, identifying alternative strategies for achieving clients’ objectives.
- Design and conduct, or advise on initial needs-gathering research to ensure that all projects are driven by user needs and business outcomes.
- Conceive of innovative experiences that result in improved user engagement, brand affinity and content consumption.
- Model proposed user experiences through maps, screen wireframes, workflow diagrams, functionality lists, and prototypes.
- Explain to project teams and clients how proposed solutions deliver on strategic goals, business goals and user needs.
- Have a strong, supportable point-of-view that adapts to changing context or new evidence.
- Design and conduct, or advise on usability testing and to inform additional iterations of the user experience.
- Apply client knowledge to multiple projects over long-term, possibly multi-year engagements.
- 10+ years of information architecture and/or UX design experience.
- 3+ years managing resources, leading teams, developing business.
- Possession of an undergraduate degree; Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience with large, complex, multi-national or Fortune 50 clients.
- Experience working in a fast-paced agency environment.
- Experience facilitating requirements-gathering worksessions
- Proven client facing skills, responding well to client input and feedback.
- Drive to see ideas well executed in the end product.
- Self-motivation – the willingness to set personal goals and work independently in a collaborative team setting.
- The ability quickly gain the trust of collaborators and earn the level of leader.
- The ability to lead or follow as circumstances dictate.
- Willingness to adapt POV with changing contexts.
Skills & Abilities
- The ability to creatively ideate under ambiguous circumstances.
- The ability to present work with clarity, persuasiveness, and as influential business participant when necessary.
- Excellent analytic skills – the ability to break a complex problem into prioritized components.
- Skills in problem solving, judgment, critical thinking and decision-making.
- The ability to see a big idea realized through a series of individual user interactions.
- Ability to work rapidly while observing and managing deadlines.
- Great communication skills, both written and oral, and the ability to interact confidently with all levels inside VSA and with our clients.
- Ability to be versatile and handle multiple projects and re-prioritizations.
- Ability to skillfully organize and prioritize information with thorough attention to detail.
Meet Some of VSA Partners's Employees
Director of UX Architecture
Ara leads the UX Architecture Team to understand a company’s needs, objectives, and customers. He then formulates design solutions that resonate with those organizations.
Back to top