Design is kind of a big deal at VSA. But if you’ve made it this far, the chances are high that you already knew that. So now we can tell you we’re looking for a designer-designer to bring brands alive, with that special mix of creative brainpower and Creative Suite knowhow. As our Designer Intern, you’ll be in the front seat of individual design projects, working with a team to develop concept and thematic elements. Expect anything from packaging to web to logos. Just don’t expect to be bored.
What the heck are we talking about? We’re looking for two distinct types of designers for our internship program. This position calls for someone heavily invested in the elements of design and less so how these elements come together in say, an ad. Think typography over layout. (If you’re leaning toward the latter, please see our Creative Design Intern position.)
A little bit about the VSA Summer Internship Program: If you’re looking for another bullet point on your resume, look elsewhere. At VSA, like much of what we do, we take our internship program seriously. Which means our interns work on “real work,” with real meetings, deadlines, and business challenges from our brands and clients. This is the education you won’t get in a classroom. Consider it career practice, with the freedom to learn, make mistakes, refine, question and tag along. You’ll work with an individual mentor and supervisor in a unique cross-disciplinary environment focused on brand, communications, marketing and digital. As part of the larger program, you’ll take part in intern meetings, team outings, activities and initiatives (can you say networking?). And yes, it’s paid, with an hourly rate, for 40 hours/week, on-site. It starts June 5th. Bet you can’t wait for summer.
Note: this position is part of VSA’s Design Practice.
Working closely with a supervisor and a mentor, Design Interns will be responsible for:
- You will take part in exploration, conceptual and visual development, and execution of design directions.
- You will be crucial in pulling together elements that bring ideas and presentations to life: helping to prepare comps and mood boards; conducting layout and color explorations; scanning; finding stock photography and illustrations; and searching portfolios for style references.
- You will collaborate with Designers and Design Directors, who will guide your work and invest in your growth and development as a designer.
- Your creative team will teach you the fundamentals of print production (creating print specifications, marking up files, releasing jobs to printers, reviewing proofs and attending press checks).
- You’ll learn about art direction of photography and illustration from some of the best in the business.
- We'll depend on you in the home stretch, making edits to documents and decks.
Apply If You...
- Are currently a junior or senior undergraduate student or recent grad from an accredited university or design school
- Have a strong passion for a craft and/or particular area of specialization
- Can demonstrate a clear “point-of-view” relating to your design...and you can articulate it.
- Have the ability to work well in very team-oriented culture, with the drive to fly solo when necessary
- Know Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator inside and out
- Have a keen understanding of typography, color, composition and brand systems
- Are always being asked to design something for your friends/family/strangers ‘cause you’re so good at it and yet you are still super humble about it ‘cause you’re so cool and you just want to keep pushing your craft ‘cause that’s what it’s all about: the craft
Meet Some of VSA Partners's Employees
Director of UX Architecture
Ara leads the UX Architecture Team to understand a company’s needs, objectives, and customers. He then formulates design solutions that resonate with those organizations.
Back to top