Software Engineering Manager
- Austin, TX
The Partner Data Graph team is an essential part of the Data and AI Platform Systems organization with Expedia Group. The team is responsible for building robust data pipelines to house and transform Partner data products using domain-driven architecture and streaming techniques to process massive amounts of data at scale and speed. The Partner data products form an essential input into various systems across the company including Analysts reporting, CRM tools, and Machine Learning products. We have a diverse technology stack ranging from Qubole, Hive, K-stream apps, Spark, and various other Big Data technologies.
As an Engineering Manager, you will be involved in all aspects of software development for your team, including participating in technical designs, implementation, functional analysis, and release for mid-to-large sized projects. You will also be responsible for on-time delivery of features, setting timelines, coaching, and mentoring your team and hiring and recruiting.
We are a fun-loving, collaborative team that aims to tackle challenges related to delivering intelligence and real-time data insights to our customers!
What You'll Do:
- Design and implement large scale real-time & batch data pipelines on the AWS platform.
- Prototype creative solutions quickly by developing minimum viable products and work with seniors and peers in crafting and implementing the technical vision of the team
- Resolve problems and roadblocks as they occur and unblock team members. Follow through on details and drive issues to closure
- Coach and mentor engineers of varying levels within your organization for career development and progression.
- Establish a team of robust software engineers utilizing your experience screening, interviewing, and growing elite development teams.
- Build and maintain a long-term vision and technical roadmap, as well as overseeing tight timelines to keep key work on schedule.
- Lead a team of software engineers in development and test to deliver high-quality software using agile principles and methodologies
- Serve as a technology leader with a strong focus on performance, scalability, maintainability and operational excellence
- Collaborate in multi-functional discussions to plan project deliveries or set platform, product and technology strategies
- Orchestrate operational support and act as an escalation point during outages and high impact live site issues
- Communicate and work effectively with geographically distributed multi-functional teams
Who You Are:
- Degree in software engineering, computer science, informatics, or a similar field.
- Experience in designing and implementing Big Data/ML applications (data ingestion, real-time data processing, and batch analytics) in Spark Streaming, Kafka, Hadoop.
- Solid server-side programming skills (Scala, Nodejs, or Java), and hands-on experience in OOAD, design patterns, and SQL.
- Strong experience with cloud computing platforms (AWS, EMR, Kubernetes, Docker).
- Experience with microservice architecture, and design.
- Experience on Hadoop-ecosystem technologies in particular MapReduce, Spark, Hive, YARN.
- Experience working on anyone distributed database system like Hadoop (Hive/HDFS), Qubole/Databricks/Amazon EMR, Teradata, Redshift, or DB2.
- Preferred experience on machine learning toolkits like Spark MLlibb, H20, scikit-learn, R and ML techniques.
- Experience in leading robust agile software engineering teams, combined with hands-on software engineering experience
- Strong communication skills, experience communicating across various groups, and levels of leadership within a global organization.
- Ability to lead, drive, and prioritize multiple simultaneous projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Familiarity with the e-commerce or travel industry.
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Parental leave for up to 20 weeks (dependent on eligibility)
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on vrbo.com
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
- Casual dress
Why Join Us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better - that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers ®, CheapTickets ®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters ®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo ®.
In 1995,Vrbointroduced a new way for people to travel together, pairing homeowners with families and friends looking for places to stay. We were grounded in one purpose: To give people the space they need to drop the distractions of everyday life and simply be together. Since then, we've grown into a global community of homeowners and travelers, with unique properties in 190 countries around the world.Vrbomakes it easy and fun to book cabins, condos, beach houses, and every kind of space in between.
Vrbois part of VRBO and the Expedia Group family of brands and offers homeowners and property managers exposure to over 750 million visits to Expedia Group sites each month. To learn more, visit www.vrbo.com .
Expedia iscommittedto creating an inclusive workenvironmentwith a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Back to top