Senior Software Engineer
In 1999 a 16-year-old Kevin Sproles started designing, coding and shipping what would become Volusion, while living with his parents in Simi Valley, California. From the start Kevin understood how to turn customer pain points into real solutions that would help entrepreneurs establish & grow their online business.
He did this by listening to the customer, and understanding the ‘why’ behind each request a customer would make. Kevin is still a firm believer in “talking with customers", and modern organizations have created many names for it over the past few years: Customer development, customer-first, brand development, user innovation, and lean startup principles.
Fast-forward to 2016, and Volusion has connected with hundreds of thousands of customers that have used and are currently using Volusion software to power their websites. We've reached a very unique position in the market without taking on high amounts of debt (private or public) as compared to similar competitors such as Shopify and BigCommerce.
We want to help founders and entrepreneurs be the best at what they do. We believe the best way to grow our business is by helping our customers grow their businesses. Our primary goal, which we’re well positioned to meet, is to create a viral effect of small business success stories through the products and services we deliver.
A Sr. Software Engineer would:
- Be a strong embodiment of our culture code. We hope you are nodding your head in agreement as you browse through it!
- A creator, a fellow maker, not simply a decision maker.
- Be ready and capable to move forward at pretty much any step of the process.
- Be willing to spend time learning the customer’s needs before writing a line of code.
A few examples of past and current projects:
- Inline content and style editing platform hosted in the cloud (AWS, Node.js)
- Event tracking proxy that feeds our various marketing and sales systems (AWS, Node.js)
- Modernization, automation and continuous deployment practices using tools such as Docker, CodeShip, Team City, and Octopus Deploy
- Continuously deliver high-quality software using the latest proven frameworks, data storage, and open source technologies
- Plan, design, develop, test, debug, and deploy highly-available ecommerce applications
- Break down complex requirements into independent coding tasks and strategies
- Actively looking for ways to make everything better
- Experience working in modern agile and lean methodologies
- Own your impact working with designers, peers, product managers and other departments to release features.
- Be familiar with online SaaS subscription software.
- Eager to help create the best tech company in Austin
We are looking for someone with:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or similar desired
- 5+ years developing high-quality software
- Experience with .NET, Node.js, Java
- Strong knowledge of services (mostly RESTful)
- AWS experience
- Database knowledge; SQLServer and MongoDB
- Strong interest in learning and expanding your personal toolbox of skills
- High emotional intelligence
Who is also:
- Humble: Have humility and be respectful; no egos allowed.
- Effective: Get stuff done!
- Adaptable: Willing to fill any role, anytime. Going above/beyond the call of duty.
- Transparent: Open and honest to self and others.
- A founder: Think big, go fast, and solve for the customer.
- Customers: We are a customer-first company, and we want all efforts and communications to represent this philosophy
- Visibility: We’d rely on you for developing strong relationships with other teams (Engineering, IT, Finance, Culture, Customer Experience, Sales, Business Development) as well as our Marketing and Growth leaders to collaborate on initiatives and coordinate launches. We want to improve communication across all these areas to avoid misunderstandings and keep everyone in the know.
- Planning: We (CEO/CPO/CTO) would love to collaborate with you regularly to create the execution plans each quarter. This would mean writing down OKRs, and listening an accommodating changes to keep everyone going in the right direction.
- Guidance: We would have regular 1:1s (I’m the CTO) and would love to see you have 1:1s with other leadership to help review product roll-outs, listen for feedback and adjust your game plan.
- Culture: We expect you to understand and embrace the culture, and then help others understand and support the culture as well!
- Communication: Being effective at communicating is key. When deadline slip, priorities change, issues happen, it’s important to open up and ask for help but also to keep all the stakeholders informed regularly.
- Conflict: You are responsible for resolving conflicts with your peers, with leadership and among your own team members.
- Founder: This one is important, so we have it above and as a separate item here. Being a founder means listening to customers, taking a customer-first approach to problem solving, iterating super fast, and being willing to make mistakes along the way.
- Bootcamp: Every role in our engineering and product organizations go through a 30-day bootcamp. This means everyone starts as a contract-to-hire, is hands-on, receives and gives feedback during those 30-days and has a weekly 1:1 with the CPO to ensure fitness.
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive compensation packages
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Voluntary Life Insurance
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- 401(k) with Company Matching
- Paid Parental Leave
- On-site Fitness and Yoga Classes
- Casual Dress and Beer Fridays
- Endless Supply of Coffee and Snacks
- Two Volunteer Days Off
- Bring Your Dog to Work Days
- Chair Massages
- Team Sports and Team Outings
Meet Some of Volusion's Employees
Partner Development Manager
Justin teams up with the Business Development Team to manage channel partnerships, affiliate programs, and the Volusion Experts Network, all to ensure clients connect with their merchants.
Back to top