In 1999 a 16-year-old Kevin Sproles started designing, coding and shipping what would become Volusion, while living with his parents in Simi Valley, California. From the start Kevin understood how to turn customer pain points into real solutions that would help entrepreneurs establish & grow their online business.
He did this by listening to the customer, and understanding the ‘why’ behind each request a customer would make. Kevin is still a firm believer in “talking with customers", and modern organizations have created many names for it over the past few years: Customer development, customer-first, brand development, user innovation, and lean startup principles.
Fast-forward to 2016, and Volusion has connected with hundreds of thousands of customers that have used and are currently using Volusion software to power their websites. We've reached a very unique position in the market without taking on high amounts of debt (private or public) as compared to similar competitors such as Shopify and BigCommerce.
We want to help founders and entrepreneurs be the best at what they do. We believe the best way to grow our business is by helping our customers grow their businesses. Our primary goal, which we’re well positioned to meet, is to create thousands of small business success stories through the products and services we deliver.
What are we looking for?
A Product Designer would have:
- An amazing ability to turn ordinary digital experiences into the extraordinary experiences for the users
- A keen interest in empathy for the customer, and designing for the customer
- You believe "It’s technology married with liberal arts, married with the humanities, that yields the results that make our hearts sing." - Steve Jobs
- A Product Designer is a creator, a fellow maker, not simply a painter.
A few examples of past and current projects:
- Make it amazingly intuitive to create & edit your website as a store owner, better than Dropbox Paper
- Make the shopping experience a beautiful, quick & convenient thing for everyone who shops online
- Innovate the checkout experience with Apple Pay
- Create visually stunning interface designs for existing products and future prototypes
- Work directly with product managers and developers to ensure design is properly applied to the product
- Create innovative solutions to tough interface challenges
- Develop design patterns for reuse and consistency
- UI Design, UX Design, Information Architecture - all tenets of good product design
- Customer interviews before, during, and after design production to ensure a perfect solve
- Interact directly with stakeholders and customers to inform your designs
- Inject design processes into agile development cycles
- Used to working in modern agile and lean methodologies
- Eager to help create the best tech company in Austin
We are looking for someone with:
- Bachelor's degree desired
- 4+ years in product design, UI/UX experience
- An amazing portfolio of product design experience
- Sketch mastery
- Invision mastery
- Strong familiarity with the process of creating digital properties from conception and wire-framing to hi-fidelity design comps to collect initial user feedback
- Ability to communicate design recommendations to both peers and company leaders
- Strong interest in learning and expanding your personal toolbox of skills
- High emotional intelligence
Who is also the embodiment of our culture code (we hope that you are nodding your head in agreement as you browse through it!) :
- Humble: Have humility and be respectful; no egos allowed.
- Effective: Get stuff done!
- Adaptable: Willing to fill any role, anytime. Going above/beyond the call of duty.
- Transparent: Open and honest to self and others.
- A founder: Think big, go fast, and solve for the customer.
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive compensation packages
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Voluntary Life Insurance
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- 401(k) with Company Matching
- Paid Parental Leave
- On-site Fitness and Yoga Classes
- Casual Dress and Beer Fridays
- Endless Supply of Coffee and Snacks
- Two Volunteer Days Off
- Bring Your Dog to Work Days
- Chair Massages
- Team Sports and Team Outings
Back to top