Director of Engineering
In 1999 a 16-year-old Kevin Sproles started designing, coding and shipping what would become Volusion, while living with his parents in Simi Valley, California. From the start Kevin understood how to turn customer pain points into real solutions that would help entrepreneurs establish & grow their online business.
He did this by listening to the customer, and understanding the ‘why’ behind each request a customer would make. Kevin is still a firm believer in “talking with customers", and modern organizations have created many names for it over the past few years: Customer development, customer-first, brand development, user innovation, and lean startup principles.
Fast-forward to 2016, and Volusion has connected with hundreds of thousands of customers that have used and are currently using Volusion software to power their websites. We've reached a very unique position in the market without taking on high amounts of debt (private or public) as compared to similar competitors such as Shopify and BigCommerce.
We want to help founders and entrepreneurs be the best at what they do. We believe the best way to grow our business is by helping our customers grow their businesses. Our primary goal, which we’re well positioned to meet, is to create thousands of small business success stories through the products and services we deliver.
At Volusion, a Director of Engineering would be:
- The embodiment of our culture code. We hope you are nodding your head in agreement as you browse through it!
- Accountable for delivering business objectives
- Super transparent with team, peers and leadership
- Communicating and owning priorities within the engineering team
- Willing to get hands dirty and work with the team day-to-day
- One of the strongest technical leaders within the organization
- Responsible for creating and implementing an engineering strategy
- In constant communication with customers
- Instrumental in hiring and coaching high-performing team members
- Actively looking for ways to make everything better
- An expert in modern agile and lean methodologies
- Passionate about automation, continuous delivery and cloud tech
- Willing to participate in speaking engagements (public and internal)
- A strong negotiator for developer and vendor contracts
- Detail oriented and always looking at data to back decisions
- Performance minded (delivery and SLA)
- Eager to help create the best tech company in Austin
- Responsible for department budgeting and cost-savings identification
We are looking for someone with:
- A Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Software or other Engineering discipline
- 10+ years experience in the tech industry
- 8+ years experience coding, building, testing
- 7+ years experience as a Manager or above
- 3+ years in the trenches startup experience
- High emotional intelligence
- Amazing communication skills
Who is also:
- Humble: Have humility and be respectful; no egos allowed
- Effective: Get stuff done!
- Adaptable: Willing to fill any role, anytime. Going above/beyond the call of duty
- Transparent: Open and honest to self and others
- A founder: Think big, go fast, and solve for the customer
- Hiring: We’d be looking to you for helping us vet, interview and hire new engineers and leadership within the engineering team.
- Customers: We are a customer-first company, and we want all efforts and communications to represent this philosophy.
- Visibility: We’d rely on you for developing strong relationships with other teams (IT, Finance, Culture, Product, Customer Experience, Sales, Business Development) as well as our Marketing and Growth leaders to coordinate launches. We want to improve communication across all these areas to avoid misunderstandings and keep everyone in the know.
- Planning: We (CEO/CPO/CTO) would love to collaborate with you regularly to create the execution plans each quarter. This would mean writing down OKRs, and listening and accommodating changes to keep everyone going in the right direction.
- Guidance: We would have regular 1:1s (I’m the CTO) and would love to see you have 1:1s with other leadership to help review product roll-outs, listen for feedback and adjust your game plan.
- Culture: We expect you to understand and embrace the culture, and then help others understand and support the culture as well!
- Communication: Being effective at communicating is key. When deadlines slip, priorities change, issues happen, it’s important to open up and ask for help but also to keep all the stakeholders informed regularly.
- Conflict: You are responsible for resolving conflicts with your peers, with leadership and among your own team members.
- Founder: This one is important, so we have it above and as a separate item here. Being a founder means listening to customers, taking a customer-first approach to problem solving, iterating super fast, and being willing to make mistakes along the way.
- Bootcamp: Every role in our engineering and product organizations go through a 30-day bootcamp. This means everyone starts as a contract-to-hire, is hands-on, receives and gives feedback during those 30-days and has a weekly 1:1 with the CTO to ensure fitness.
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive compensation packages
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Voluntary Life Insurance
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- 401(k) with Company Matching
- Paid Parental Leave
- On-site Fitness and Yoga Classes
- Casual Dress and Beer Fridays
- Endless Supply of Coffee and Snacks
- Two Volunteer Days Off
- Bring Your Dog to Work Days
- Dry Cleaning
- Chair Massages
- Team Sports and Team Outings
Meet Some of Volusion's Employees
Dustin collaborates with the Small Business Sales Department to activate new merchants who join the platform. Then he makes sure they can locate and capitalize on all built-in resources.
Back to top