VMware Tanzu Dev productivity engineer(Automation, DevOps, Kubernetes) VMware Tanzu Engineering Productivity Team
- Bengaluru, India
VMware Tanzu Dev productivity engineer (DevOps, Kubernetes, tools development) VMware Tanzu Engineering Productivity Team
The Elevator Pitch: Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
You will be part of the product which plays pivotal role in direction VMWare is taking with the cloud technologies. Tanzu Mission Control allows you to build, manage, and operate a self-service Kubernetes platform that can run anywhere. You will be utilizing your experience building and maintaining pipelines to impact success of the Tanzu Mission Control and VMWare. You will be working as a collaborative partner in a diverse environment whose teams care about the products they are creating, how they create them, and the quality of the result. You will be learning and growing your career at the company that values and invests in its employees. Lastly,
What is primary need, technical challenge, and/or problem you will be responsible for?
We are looking for senior engineer who has experience with pipeline construction, evolution and management. Someone who will be hands on developing code to automate different stages of promotions as well as providing CI/CD guidance and support.
The current pipeline is built using Concourse, Jenkins and GitLab, we also use in house built tool for deploying environments. Our pipeline is well developed but still need some work to reach higher maturity level. We would like to promote code to production more often and optimize developer experience to enable engineers to merge and validate their code more efficiently.
You will need to understand existing pipeline, identify any new tools/approaches which will impact long term success, develop automation in collaboration with development teams. This role will provide opportunities to work across the organization and will be a catalyst for technical and professional growth. By improving CICD pipeline and developer experience, you will ensure fastest speed to market of the quality product and increase market share.
Success in the Role: What are the performance goals over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
- Collaboration: You will be collaborating with and building relationships across engineering teams.
- Pipeline Improvements: Enable engineering teams to promote code to production in the most efficient way as often as multiple times a day. Enable different services and components to promote their code to production independently from each other. Improve efficiency of code development process including time it takes to validate code prior to merging and build times.
- Team Growth Mindset: You will be an active member of the Engineering Productivity team, helping and learning from other team members is vital to the success of someone in this role.
What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
As part of the VMware Tanzu Engineering Productivity Team, you will be:
- Working on CI/CD pipeline construction, evolution and management.
- Identifying opportunities to improve efficiency of our CI/CD pipeline and optimize developer productivity.
- Contributing to design of the next-generation tools and systems relating to Developer Productivity.
- Contributing to the subject matter on Developer Productivity best practices.
- Perform analysis of best practices and emerging concepts in DevOps, Infrastructure Automation.
- Enable continuous integration / continuous delivery: Code developed on an incremental basis should be promoted to production environment hosted in cloud on a regular basis
- Developing tools and code to automate manual steps in the pipeline and optimize existing steps.
- Using tools such as GitLab, Jenkins, Bintray, Docker, SonarQube
- Primary skillsets: Coding experience with either GoLang or Python
- Good to have: Kubernetes, Devops tools
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
The hiring manager for this role is Ashok Venkiteswaran, Director, Tanzu Mission Control. His expertise was built through involvement in leading software development & test projects across various technology organizations for past 24 years out of which the last 8 years is that of working with VMware. His management philosophy is to create flexible, inclusive and a learning work environment where people can achieve their best results and career goals. He does this by hiring a right skilled team, creating a learning work environment promoting good teamwork and a rewarding culture. He provides the best of opportunities for engineers and provide required guidance and mentoring for engineers in his team to grow further in their career. Ashok's team is made up of self-starters, who have a passion for technology and getting things done.
This position is eligible for JoinTeamTanzu referral campaign
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top