Virtual Machine Monitor - Member of Technical Staff
The Virtual Machine Monitor team is part of the VM Platform Group, which is responsible for our core virtualization infrastructure.
We are looking for talented and highly-motivated individuals to join the world-class virtual machine monitor group, which is responsible for the CPU virtualization technology in VMware products. Your work will require you to understand the details of new and upcoming x86 CPU architecture, and how they map to concepts such as VT-x/EPT, AMD-V/RVI, interrupt virtualization, memory virtualization/management, dynamic code instrumentation and accelerator virtualization. Part of your work will be to develop programs that verify the implementation of these architectural concepts. Another part of your work will be the development and use of tools that aid the development of these programs.
A successful candidate must possess a very deep understanding of processor architecture. Tools-oriented approaches to problem solution, along with facility with systems programming environments (Linux, C, assembly) are also essential. An understanding of low-level OS kernel internals, including memory management, resource management, and interrupt architecture is also highly desirable.
• MSCS with 4+ years of industry experience or equivalent
• Excellent knowledge of CPU architecture and/or the structure of the PC BIOS
• Knowledge of OS kernel internals, including memory management, resource management, and interrupt architecture
• Extensive development experience working on low-level, performance-critical software; e.g. relevant embedded programming experience
• Strong software engineering background with a passion for delivering enterprise-quality software
• Excellent hands-on implementer with strong C programming skills in a Linux environment
• Strong knowledge of x86 assembly/architecture is also a plus
• Exposure to VMs (Java or x86)
This position is eligible for the DiversifyCPBU referral campaign
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top