Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
You will be a great fit for this role if you enjoy talking to people and empathizing with them while having deep technical discussions. Leveraging your technical background and user research experience, you will engage our developers to understand how they use software development tools and processes on a daily basis and what we can do to make them more efficient and productive.
What is primary need, technical challenge, and/or problem you will be responsible for?
You will act as a bridge between the R&D and UX research teams within VMware IT. You are someone who can understand the software development lifecycle, commons tools and terminologies that developers use. You will then help the UX research team find the gaps and actionable insights to make developers' life at VMware easier.
Success in the Role: What are the performance goals over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
- You will be expected to engage hundreds, or even thousands, of developers over the course of a year in discussions around their experience using internal tools and processes.
- You will plan and execute different research methods such as interviews, surveys and focus groups to give us a better look into a typical day in the life of a software developer.
- You will work closely with other researchers and data scientists to make sense of the data collected over the course of the research.
- You will be regularly evaluated on the quality of the actionable insights we can derive from your research.
What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
You will play an integral role in the entire research process: from planning and delegating to execution and analyzing the data. You are comfortable executing different research methods and can improvise if required to gather the right data. You are able to travel to different VMware offices and understand the unique challenges our colleagues face around the world.
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
You will be part of the Colleague Experience team within VMware IT which comprises of UX designers, researchers and data scientists. Headed by Kostadin Kushlev, the team prides itself on having delivered delightful user experiences for our colleagues through internal web/mobile applications and graphic designs. Spread across Palo Alto and Bulgaria, the team has diverse skillsets and backgrounds that may complement your own.
Skills and Qualifications
- 3+ years of relevant industry experience
- Ability to create a variety of UX Deliverables, such as Journey Maps, Service Blueprints, Personas, etc.
- In-depth understanding of qualitative and quantitative research methods including in-depth interviews, focus groups, usability testing, surveys, ethnographic studies.
- Strong ability to translate research findings into relevant insights and communicate them to all stakeholders through great storytelling.
- Programming knowledge - data structures, algorithms, design patterns, memory management, etc.
- Good operational knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and/or familiarity with prototyping tools is a big plus.
- Degree in Design, Social Sciences (Sociology, Psychology, Anthropology), HCI or related field
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, trainings, course work, etc.)
- Healthy and local inspired snacks in all our pantries
This job requisition is not eligible for employment-based immigration sponsorship by VMware.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top