Technical Support Engineer (vSAN)
- Alajuela, Costa Rica
VMware vSAN (formerly Virtual SAN), is the industry-leading software powering Hyper-Converged Infrastructure solution .vSAN is a core building block for the Software-Defined Data Center. Engineers support over 250,000 companies running VMware products across three technology layers in over 100 different countries. They support the entire suite of VMware products for global customers and partners, interfacing with them via the phone, email, and web. They resolve customer technical issues through diligent research, reproduction, and troubleshooting utilizing a wide range of skills including virtualization administration, system administration, and software development.
- Provide World Class Technical Support for the VMware vSAN Product
- Respond to vSAN customer inquiries, primarily by telephone, email, and instant messaging systems
- Work flexible schedules, which may include mornings evenings, weekends or holidays.
- Resolve customer technical issues with the vSAN product through diligent research, reproduction, and troubleshooting.
- Work directly with other technical support staff, quality assurance, engineering, sales, marketing, operations, and administration to resolve problems. This includes VMware partners.
- Document all technical inquiries, develop and review content for knowledgebase.
- Help test alpha and beta products.
- Speak English fluently
- Write English with fluency
- Knowledge of networking protocols and network architecture in enterprise environments
- Experience in an enterprise LAN/WAN environment.
- Experience with Windows and Linux Networking.
- Understanding of Storage Hardware Architecture (Partitioning / RAID) and experience with storage troubleshooting
- Strong knowledge of and experience in supporting Linux/UNIX environment.
- Linux storage preferred - Linux Admin experience acceptable
- Experience trouble-shooting / administrating SAN environments (Fiber Channel or iSCSI).
- Excellent understanding of Network Attached Storage (NAS).*
- Working knowledge of NAS protocols (CIFS, SMB, NFS).
- Understanding of Storage Hardware Architecture (Partitioning / RAID).
- Experience configuring SAN Storage Arrays.
- Experience with Microsoft Cluster Services (MSCS).
- Working knowledge of backup software (EMC Networker, VERITAS, NetBackup, Tivoli Storage Manager, Backup Exec).
- Experience resolving system crashes and hardware related issues.
- Experience with trouble-shooting hardware related issues.
- Experience Troubleshooting 3rd party application integration.
- Experience Performance troubleshooting.
- Minimum of 3+ years of combined experience supporting software and hardware.
- Experience working within an Enterprise IT Support environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Case/Customer Management skills.
- This job opportunity is not eligible for employment-based immigration sponsorship by VMware
Highly Preferred Skills
- Portuguese written & spoken is a plus
- Experience with ESXi Server, vCenter Server and/or other VMware products.
- Experience with Cisco or Network hardware manufactured products.
- Experience with Server Hardware (Dell, HP, IBM, etc).
- Experience with switch and routing protocols (CCNA).
- Knowledge of remote storage mirroring (EMC MirrorView or SRDF).
- Experience with data recovery.
- Experience with scripting and programming (C, C++, Perl, Python, Bash).
- Experience with advanced configuration of Windows and Linux Networking.
- Familiarity with object based storage.
- Experience with VMware products a plus.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top