Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
Are you passionate about learning new technology and solving complex problems for customers? Do you like to work as part of a team? Do you like to learn from others? Do you like to share your knowledge? if the answer to these questions is yes, then VMware has a Technical Support role for you. You will be working on the latest and top of the line technology to become an expert in the IT industry. We take great pride in helping our engineers to develop themselves and become experts in their chosen fields.
Our Global Support organization supports over 250,000 companies in 100+ different countries, and you can be part of an extraordinary team in an energetic, creative, and collaborative business environment.
What can you expect in the first 6-12 months of your career with VMware?
- As a Level 2 Technical Support Engineer, you will be learning and expanding your VMware virtualization technologies and help our customers troubleshoot, understand, and overcome challenges in their operation.
- First steps in this role will be to upskill on our support processes and products and to understand how we work as part of a global team
- Once achieved, you will begin to troubleshoot customer issues with the support of tenured engineers through the knowledge you have gained. You will constantly work with team members to find solutions for customers
- As your skill set grows, you may choose to work on additional product lines and progress your skillset on more technologies or seek to become experts in a wide variety of products and or technology related to our product portfolio
- Throughout this time, and your career at VMware, you will be able to develop through training, learning tools, research time and training days.
- As you approach the 12-month mark in VMware, opportunities may emerge whereby you can begin to share your knowledge and experience with newer members of your team
What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
As a Technical Support Engineer 2, you will be responsible for resolving customer technical issues. Key strengths for this role would be motivated, keen to learn, strong customer service and technical problem-solving skills, someone who embraces challenges.
To be successful in this role, you will:
- You will leverage your extensive administration and support experience with all of Windows server operating systems, and workstation operating systems in large enterprise environments (thousands of systems).
- While you hold basic understanding of Linux-oriented environments and the associated programming languages for configuring Linux systems and workloads, you will also demonstrate experience with basic SQL and Postgres database management and querying for troubleshooting purposes
- Your familiarity with various Hypervisors (vSphere, Hyper-V, Citrix XenServer, KVM, etc.). Cloud concepts and technologies (vCloud Director, Amazon, OpenStack, etc.). Cloud orchestration tools (Chef, Puppet, vCenter Orchestrator, etc.). will enable you to partner across teams and assist our global customers
- OS Provisioning experience a plus (SCCM, WIM, KickStart, etc.).
- You will learn new communication and technological skills, including, but not limited to Technical Expertise, Applied Logic, as well as Time, Queue and Customer management.
- Resolve customer queries while providing world class support to our customers.
- Troubleshoot, research, and resolve issues, using labs, logs bundles and knowledge base, peer to peer collaboration and other tools you will learn in this role.
- Partner with Engineering, IBM/Dell EMC partners, Field Teams and Technical experts to resolve issues to make it easier for customers to use our technology.
- Updating and creating knowledge articles for global circulation and use, based on the issues you have resolved.
- Certification in Linux, Linux-enabled solutions, or other technologies for managing on premise or hosted hardware and software solutions
- Your experience in configuring and managing the Salt platform. Python development and being a fluent user of GitHub will add to the success
Work in an environment of trust, on-going development, and coaching, where you are empowered to develop and achieve success, surrounded, and supported by a team of highly skilled engineers and supported by a leadership team involved in and committed to your success.
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
- The selected candidate will be reporting to one of the Technical Support Manager. Managers have considerable amount of experience in managing enterprise support and leading the team to success through the company's values. Leadership is deeply invested in the teams' careers development and has a successful track record of ensuring the team is successful as a unit and ensure the individual team members progress in their careers.
- Leadership practices high ethical management and provides good work environment while being employee friendly
- The core team comprises engineers at different levels (L1, L2 and L3) supporting vRealize suite (including OpenStack) of products. The team is part of the 24x7 support structure and demonstrates work flexibility to ensure we meet customers contractual requirement
- While the team has loads for fun and engagement, we also work in partnership with the peers across the globe working during different time zones. The role requires the candidate to be flexible to work in any shift (includes PST) and weekend hours.
Where is this role located?
- Fixed: this role is based out of VMware's Bangalore office and open to candidates in the surrounding area.
- Flexible: The location of this role is flexible within India. Work will be done from an office some days during a week and other days from a non-VMware building.
- Remote: this role is fully remote and can be done anywhere in India.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
- You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights or explore the VMware Benefits page for additional details. Please note, benefits change by country, please select your country from the drop-down menu in the top right corner. www.benefits.vmware.com
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Financial support under structured programs to your ongoing development (conference participation, training, course work, educational programs etc.)
- Healthy and local inspired snacks in all our on-site pantries
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.