Technical Program Manager
About VMware MAPBU and VMware Tanzu
Ready to build? So are we. Come join VMware's new and exciting Modern Applications Platform Business Unit (MAPBU) team, made up of products and services under the Tanzu portfolio to help customers build, run and manage their most important applications. To learn more about Tanzu watch this video. #TeamTanzu
You have a strong sense for a 'team of teams' approach along with programmatic instincts. More importantly, you have an appreciation for and understanding of cloud native architectures, agile, lean and user-centered design values, principles, and practices, along with how they can be applied in a world filled with legacy technologies and processes. You are excited by the mission of catalyzing enterprise transformation, and delivering the organizational value that technology can unlock. You thrive in a complex ecosystem, collecting, sharing, and synthesizing input from many directions and enabling your team to continuously deliver customer value. You bring humility, empathy, and a learning mindset to everything you do. You believe in doing the right thing and doing what works.
You are a dynamic and thoughtful program leader with experience managing cost, technical scope, risk, and timelines, to which you apply agile/lean principles and methodologies. You enjoy collaboration and strategy to drive execution success across multiple lines of business. You have experience working with senior stakeholders to define and manage priorities. You are able to communicate technical and programmatic information at the right level of detail for the appropriate varied audiences.
What you'll be doing
You will be working In the VMware Pivotal Labs team, helping clients to design and deliver modern, mission-critical, cloud-native applications serving a variety of business and user needs.
As a Technical Program Manager (TPM), you will manage a program of diverse application and platform services for our clients. It is a billable and client facing role. This might be a portfolio of different engagements, or a single engagement depending on the stage of relationship VMware has with any given client, at any given time. The TPM role has 4 groups of stakeholders to keep aligned: the Client, the Service Delivery team(s), Delivery Leadership, and the Account Team. A successful TPM will inspire continuity and collaboration across these groups of stakeholders.
As a TPM, you will be responsible for:
- Helping clients to define and drive towards prioritized program outcomes and setting up client and internal teams so that they can operate in a self-organizing way while executing towards those priorities
- Support enablement of clients around the principles and practices we apply to lean program management and software delivery
- Establishing effective communications and collaboration between the client, our service delivery teams, delivery leadership, and account teams to ensure alignment and successful expectation management.
- Managing risk, budget, and dependencies, drives staffing demand, handles escalations and plan interventions to improve engagement health when necessary, and continuously measures appropriate metrics for engagement and overall program success
- Facilitating key meetings between staff and clients including kick offs, stakeholder check ins, and off-boarding
- Collaborating with sales and service delivery teams on strategy and approach for the program and account.
Desired skills and experience
- 5 - 10 years of prior program and portfolio management, and/or systems engineering or similar experience
- Experience navigating large organizations and an understanding of complex stakeholder relationships
- Adaptive use of Agile and Lean practices to drive outcomes
- Comfortable communicating business priorities and technical solution options, and managing challenging conversations with diverse senior stakeholders (technical and non-technical)
- Ability to think at a larger scale (>$1M). Manages all aspects of cost, schedule, scope across multiple projects.
- Plans and Executes to highest value tasks, consistently evaluates priorities, blockers and dependencies
- Ability to enable our clients in our practices in parallel to managing and executing the program.
- Ability to act a servant leader within challenging and complex delivery environments
- Experience in business development and pre-sales
- Contributes to the program management (or similar) industry community
- Cultivates healthy dynamics and collaboration
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top