Team Tanzu is looking for a Technical Lead to drive technical decision making and deliver solutions that will allow customers to easily build, run and manage their modern workloads across any cloud. We would love to talk to you regarding this role if you are passionate about multi-cloud application modernization and interested in being part of a team that is obsessed about delighting customers and driving engineering innovation and sustainability.
Tanzu Application Service (or TAS) is a cloud platform based on the open source Cloud Foundry project that enables application developers to build and run their applications efficiently. It manages containerization, traffic routing, logging, metrics, and build workflows, so that engineers can focus on what matters most to them -- solving problems for their customers. TAS is a successful product that is loved by customers and brings in $500 million in annual revenue.
Our team is responsible for enhancing and supporting TAS to enable customers realize greater value from it. We collaborate in the open source Cloud Foundry community and enable contributors there.
Our team's philosophy has roots in Extreme Programming methodology's values and agile concepts like feedback, communication, empathy, and shared understanding. We have a whole host of practices around test-driven development, pair programming, team retrospectives, technical retrospectives, and continuous integration that support those. We wouldn't be truly agile without focusing on continuous improvement, so we also re-evaluate our processes on a regular basis, and encourage process experimentation.
We value customer obsession, metrics-driven approach, and working at a sustainable pace. We're a collaborative bunch; from pair programming to 1-on-1 time with your manager, there is always a teammate there to lend a helping hand. Mentorship from senior talent is built right into our process.
The team is distributed across our offices in San Francisco, Santa Monica, Seattle, Austin, Denver, London, and home offices in the US, Europe and Colombia. We're flexible on locations and schedules, but given our collaborative approach to working, we prefer candidates whose schedule overlaps considerably with those of their teammates.
We're looking for a Technical Lead to lead a group of teams in the exploration of product improvements, experimenting with ideas to address customer requests and hotspot issues, and working with the team to deliver on customer and business outcomes.
Success in the role
The performance goals you will work toward completing during your first 6-9 months are:
- Lead technical decision making and drive high value improvements and bug fixes.
- Partner with the product managers and engineers in technical scoping on cost and complexity of potential features, identifying key risks, exploration of technology options, and finalizing design and implementation decisions
- Ensure alignment across teams and coordinate collaboration
- Balance strategic and tactical thinking in maximizing engineering investments in improving stability and scale
- Coach, level-up your teammates and build a bench of engineers who could take on hard technical problems
Leadership for this role
This role will report to a Director of Engineering in the Tanzu Application Services team. Our leadership consistently embodies VMware's EPIC2 values of Execution, Passion, Integrity, Customers and Community. Our leadership team brings a wealth of experience from different backgrounds in the industry. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are a learning organization and believe that diverse teams are stronger and more effective at solving the complex problems we make simple for our customers. Empathy, diverse points of view, approaches, and skill sets bring us to the best solution faster, together.
Here are some qualities we look for:
- 5+ years of professional software engineering experience and strong design/coding skills
- Preference for working collaboratively -- for example, with pair programming and code reviews
- Experience planning, leading and coordinating groups of engineers on long-running, critical engineering projects
- Ability to employ systems thinking and effective articulation of the connections between technical work, product outcomes, and business priorities
- Ability to dive into a large polyglot codebase and contribute as you learn
- Ability to research problems and break them into discrete parts
- Ability to troubleshooting complex distributed systems
- Enthusiasm for improving both products and processes
- Empathy for customers and users, and comfort engaging with them during support escalations and feature planning
The following attributes would be a plus:
- BA/BS or MS degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Experience with large Go or Ruby/Rails codebases
- Experience with containerized application deployment and management
- Practiced Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Worked in a pair programming environment
- Contributed to an open source project
- Mentoring in a professional setting
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.