Technical Lead, Sustaining Engineering - VMware Tanzu Application Service
About Our Product
Based on the open source Cloud Foundry project, VMware Tanzu Application Service (or TAS) is a cloud platform that enables application developers to build and run their applications quickly, easily, and repeatably. It manages containerization, traffic routing, logging, metrics, and build workflows, so that engineers can focus on what matters most to them -- solving problems for their customers.
About Our Team
Our team is responsible for sustaining engineering of TAS. Our mission is to maintain our codebases, partner with customers when they have issues, drive structural technical changes to improve quality and long-term maintainability, and ensure the success of a product that brings in $500 million each year. We work closely with the Enhancement teams to enable them to add new functionality. We also collaborate in the open source Cloud Foundry community and enable contributors there.
Our team's philosophy has roots in XP values and agile concepts like feedback, communication, empathy, and shared understanding. We have a whole host of practices around test-driven development, pair programming, team retrospectives, technical retrospectives, and continuous integration that support those. We wouldn't be truly agile without focusing on continuous improvement, so we also re-evaluate our processes on a regular basis, and encourage process experimentation.
We value working at a sustainable pace and stick to a 8-hour-a-day schedule. We have an on-call rotation, but if you're answering pages after hours, you'll get to take some extra time off in return.
We're a collaborative bunch; from pairing to 1-on-1 time with your manager, there is always a teammate there to lend a helping hand. Mentorship from senior engineers is built right into our process.
The team is distributed across our offices in San Francisco, Santa Monica, Seattle, Denver, London, and remote home offices. We're flexible on locations and schedules, but given our collaborative approach to working, we prefer candidates whose schedule overlaps considerably with those of their teammates.
Sustaining Engineering is a new process for our team. We're looking for a Technical Lead who is excited to lead a group of teams in experimenting, solving problems, troubleshooting complex distributed systems, investing in stability and scale, and ensuring our customers are successful in using our product.
In this role you will
- Be accountable for the long-term technical health of the product
- Progress from learning about the product, to fixing bugs, to working with support to resolve customer escalations. Don't worry: you'll pair with other sustaining engineers during escalations to watch live and learn the types of issues and debugging process.
- Identify key risks and work with engineers on the team to mitigate or resolve them
- Level up your teammates and build a bench of engineers who can solve difficult technical problems
- Balance strategic and tactical thinking in addressing technical concerns
- Collaborate with your team to improve our escalation processes and iterate on our model for sustaining engineering
- Help build out and train our sustaining engineering team
- Advocate for and implement changes to make the product easier to support and troubleshoot
We know from experience that not ticking every box on the skills sections stops many from applying. You should apply regardless of your self-assessment because we want to hear from you.
Here are some qualities we look for:
- Preference for working collaboratively -- for example, with pair programming and code reviews
- Ability to dive into a large polyglot codebase and contribute as you learn
- Being okay with the uncomfortable feeling that comes while learning new things
- Interest in exploring new programming paradigms, languages, and patterns
- Demonstrable ability to research problems and break them into discrete parts
- Enthusiasm for improving both products and processes
- Empathy for customers and users, and comfort engaging with them during support escalations
- Experience leading groups of engineers on long-running, critical engineering projects
- Preference for enabling others and delegating over performing heroics
- Effective articulation of the connections between technical work, product outcomes, and business priorities
Nice to Haves
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related field
- Operations or Systems Administration experience, particularly on Linux
- Experience with large Go or Ruby/Rails codebases
- Practiced Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Worked in a pair programming environment
- Contributed to an open source project
- On-call experience with production grade systems
- Has mentored others in a professional setting
VMware is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top