Technical Delivery Lead - VMware Pivotal Labs
- Toronto, Canada
You have a strong passion for leading teams to deliver world-class customer outcomes.
Ready to build? So are we. Come join VMware's new exciting Tanzu Business Unit #TeamTanzu made up of products and services to help customers build, run and manage their most important applications. We help customers build and modernize their most important software systems with velocity in a cloud-native environment, run open-source Kubernetes with consistency, and manage with confidence to achieve significant business outcomes.
We're looking for an Engineering Delivery Lead for our VMware Pivotal Labs Canada team. The Delivery Lead (DL) has four primary contributions to make to VMware Pivotal Labs:
- Provide oversight on selected projects or clients. In this role, the DL is responsible for [a] shipping high quality software which will also drive customer satisfaction, and [b] taking responsibility for realization of financial results for VMware anticipated at project start.
- Ensure project success and client satisfaction
- Set up clients and teams so that they can operate with a high degree of autonomy and self-organization
- Collaborate and manage client expectations
- Define needed updates on project activities and lead meetings to discuss
- Play an active role in managing team and project health
- Train, mentor, and develop consultants on a constant, ongoing basis to improve their performance and morale
- Work closely with VMware account teams to contribute to and execute on customer Engagement Plans
- Keep relevant client and VMware stakeholders updated on current status
Contribute to selling activities on behalf of VMware Pivotal Labs, and other products and services offered under the VMware Tanzu portfolio.
- Represent VMware Pivotal Labs by supporting sales activities, conducting tours and executive briefings, leading discovery workshops and helping with follow up
- Work closely with account teams to determine best use of Labs services for key clients
- Collaborate with account teams and sales operations to create and negotiate proposals and SOWs
- Coordinate with the larger Account Teams to coordinate selling motions and present a unified voice for VMware to clients.
Monitoring and improving the recruitment, training, development, and retention of team members
- Enhancing practices and knowledge (methods, ways of working, offering development, training methods) by working with internal Communities of Practice to identify new ideas and methods from client work.
Beyond the Primary Contributions, DLs are also expected to contribute to Labs' and VMware Software's success in other ways.
- Maximize personal contributions to Labs revenue and cost management through billable client work
- Work with others in Sales and regional leadership to develop SOWs with appropriate revenue for DL-provided contributions to Labs work and client success
- Manage teams and record keeping so that Labs' legitimately earned revenue is properly recorded and invoiced
- For teams supervised - manage leakage and other detriments to Labs' revenue
- Manage costs (where applicable, such as travel costs or travel time) so that Labs' financial performance is maintained appropriately
Consistently driving learning and development through on-the-job training methods. This will generally necessitate that the DL will maintain high intimacy with pivots assigned to his/her team(s).
- Set up projects for success, starting with review and knowledge of SOW, and/or other formal project contracting documents
- Understand strengths and weaknesses of team members and manage staffing mix appropriately
- Be accessible and approachable for team members, and help them (generally before the fact) with technical development, as well as softer skills related to success for the project and Labs in general.
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with several employees (inclusive of managers) based on mutual preference, that persist beyond the project.
Maintain knowledge of VMware's primary product offerings, and their value propositions
- Be prepared to articulate value propositions to employees and clients
- Support Sales, as needed/appropriate in selling situations which may or may not include Labs, but could result in significant revenue for VMware Software
Support other leadership in the organization in driving towards Labs' financial goals and company values.
- Support VMware Tanzu product strategy
- Set an appropriate example for other staff in the office to follow
- Appropriate personal and business maturity
- Recognizing need to deliver and maintain high levels of client service and satisfaction
- Actively support company methods and policies
- Client-delivery oriented
- VMware-success oriented
10+ years of IT experience
- 5+ years consulting experience, working with large enterprise organizations
- 2+ years in a management/leadership role focused on project/program delivery
- Work experience and understanding of Cloud Native architecture and Domain Driven Design techniques
- Hands-on experience building and architecting Cloud Native applications
- Experience with agile and extreme programming, and a track record of helping others improve in these practices.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent facilitation skills
- Ability to break down complex problems into actionable steps
- Flexible and open to travel as needed for client and sales meetings.
"This position is eligible for JoinTeamTanzu referral campaign"
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top