Tanzu SQL - Sr. Manager
- San Francisco, CA
The Elevator Pitch: Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
The broader Tanzu portfolio within the Modern Applications Business Unit (MAPBU) has a mission to help customers build, run, and manage their most important applications. We build applications with velocity to run in a cloud-native environment, run open-source Kubernetes with consistency, and manage our customers' entire footprint with confidence to help them achieve their business outcomes.
The Operational Database Program is focused on delivering Open-Source databases at scale on Kubernetes. We enable customers to effortlessly manage fleets of over 1000 databases for all aspects of their product lifecycle.
You might like working with us if you:
• Like working as a part of an empowered balanced team.
• Believe in Outcomes over Output.
• Prioritize equitable treatment, inclusivity, and diversity.
• Work with empathy and kindness.
• Believe in doing the right thing and doing what works.
To learn more about Tanzu watch this video. #TeamTanzu
What is the primary need or problem you will be responsible for?
The Operational Databases teams need a hands-on, highly technical engineering manager to support and collaborate with team's engineers as well as designers and product management. The scope of the teams means that we collaborate with many other groups within Tanzu, needing us to balance both our own priorities with our partners. You will collaborate closely with leadership to scale the Operational Database team while maintaining a sustainable engineering process.
What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
Your highest priority, and at least 50% of your time, is taking care of your reports. This includes not only enabling them to do their day-to-day job well, but also enabling them to grow and become better engineers. You will also spend time contributing to conversations with leadership about the size and scope of your team. This will influence allocation conversations and could lead to hiring responsibilities for additional engineers in the program.
The rest of your time will focus on team processes and the needs of the team as a group. This will vary from writing code as an Individual Contributor, to collaborating with cross functional leadership to balance project priorities. You will also partner with a Product Manager and Designer to articulate, prioritize and deliver product outcomes.
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
The hiring manager for this role is Mike Roth, Engineering Lead for the Operational Databases Program. He has worked for VMware since 2020. Prior to VMware, Mike was an Engineering Director with Pivotal working on Greenplum until Pivotal was acquired by VMware in 2020.
The Operational Databases Program is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are a learning organization and believe that diverse teams are stronger and more effective at solving the complex problems we make simple for our customers. Empathy, diverse approaches, and skill sets bring us to the best solution faster, together.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Ability to break complex problems into simple solutions.
- Experience managing high-performing teams.
- Strong leadership and communication skills and the ability to mentor others.
- Ability to navigate complex decision making.
- Demonstration of applying systems thinking to solve organizational problems.
- Ability to collaborate well with other engineers, designers, product managers.
- Experience with Agile development methodology and/or experience with development methodologies suitable for large community-driven OSS projects.
- Comfort with ambiguity: we work in an iterative and incremental way, balancing many different inputs and constantly making trade-offs.
- Experience with Go, Postgres or MySQL
- Experience or familiarity with the Kubernetes API and Operators
We believe that teams should spend more of their time delivering incremental value and less on building infrastructure. We're building platforms, tools, and automation, including Tanzu Application Service, Tanzu Kubernetes Grid, and Tanzu Mission Control, to enable our customers to develop and run the software that powers their business easily and confidently. Hundreds of companies rely on our platform to meet the needs of millions of their customers. Our engineers adopt appropriate processes to go fast forever and deliver remarkable results. Our product managers and product designers work side-by-side with our engineers in small, empowered teams, using Lean and UCD as guides. We measure success by making our customers more productive, as both software developers and platform operators. We spend time with our customers to understand and build empathy for the jobs that they need to get done.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting benefits.vmware.com.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, training, course work, etc.)
This position is eligible for the TanzuChallenge referral campaign.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top