System, Scale and Performance Test Engineer - Software
- Palo Alto, CA
VMware is a pioneer of the Software Defined Data Center and we are now investing in bringing the Operational Excellence of Public Cloud Data Center Networks to the Enterprise Private Cloud. To achieve this the team is building a brand new, innovative Controller for industry scale network fabric for Enterprise Data Center, bringing unprecedented level of visibility, insight and ease of operation. You will bring your standout talents to this by being part of this high-profile project which will redefine how Enterprise DC networks are built and operated. We are seeking senior software quality engineers who are passionate about changing Enterprise DC Networking operations. You will provide technical leadership, mentor and develop team members. Your passion, technical and leadership skills will shine through as you would test and guide your team to deliver high quality product on time, every time in an agile development environment. This role will provide you opportunities to work across geographies, interact with multi-functional teams and partners and delight customers.
You should have a wide variety of software experience in the areas of distributed systems testing, networking, object oriented programming, virtualization software, and building/automating private clouds.
Our expectation is for you to work closely with the beach head customers, developers and product marketing to become an expert on the next generation product and how it will be used by the operators. In the system, scale and performance test team we consider ourselves to be the first customer. This means that we anticipate problems customers will experience before they experience them, and we do this through writing comprehensive test cases. We utilize complex automation to build the test environments and execute the test cases. In addition to functional, scale and performance testing solution functionality we also encourage creative thinking and innovation, and shape the product's features and behavior to create a better user experience for the customer.
As a Senior Test Engineer you will architect and automate end to end customer workflows and scenarios in building and operating an Enterprise DC. You'll be expected to coordinate not only within the system & scale test team, but across the development organization to ensure a feature is end-to-end automated.
As a crucial member of this team, you will be part of team of bright top-tier engineers and perform hands-on coding of critical pieces. You will work with product managers to define test plans, translate requirements and operartor flows into comprehensive tests. You will mentor junior engineers on proper testing and automation practices. You will find that work is both fun, and challenging in a highly collaborative, inclusive, and agile atmosphere.
- Write high quality test code to execute complex tests on a distributed system
- Clear verbal and written communication
- Be a strong advocate of software quality
- Visit customer sites to understand production deployments
- Work across teams with SEs, Support engineers, and across the Dev and QE organizations
- Create test plans for entire releases
- Coordinate activities of junior and senior engineers
- Implement code to streamline automation, and reduce cycle times
- Track test deliverables to product release schedule
- At least 7+ years of experience in software development and quality engineering
- 5+ Years DC Networking experience - Testing Network Devices and DC Leaf-Spine topologies.
- Strong Knowledge of L3 and L2 Protocols (TCP, UDP, ARP, DHCP, ICMP, IPv4/IPv6, STP, VLTP, LACP) and Forwarding
- Strong understanding of L2 and L3 networks, VLANs
- Networking troubleshooting / debugging - e.g. tcpdump, wireshark, traceroute, route, netstat5+ Years Virtualization experience desired - Installation/Configuration/Administration (ESX and KVM a plus)
- Operating Systems: Deep Linux knowledge - Installation/Configuration/Administration (RHEL and Ubuntu a plus)
- 5+ years of Python or equivalent
- Self-sufficient, but knows when to ask for help - A True team player.
- Knowledge of cloud architecture - vCD, NSX or Openstack a plus
- SCM: git, Jenkins, Jira, Selenium
- Databases: MySQL or similar
Bachelor degree in Computer Science (or higher) and equivalent work experience
We are bold, we are not afraid to question the status-quo. We promote innovation that disrupts industry. We embrace diversity and folks who think different. We dream big and we have the passion and drive to make those dreams a reality and have fun doing it!
VMware is an equal opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top