- Palo Alto, CA
The VMware Investment Strategy Team is a small and focused group that advises our CEO, CFO and executive leaders on evaluating, assessing, and prioritizing investments for the company across its entire portfolio of products. The team has a proven record of identifying market and competitive trends early, embedding these trends into strategy planning conversations and driving downstream change throughout the company (portfolio planning, M&A, strategic investments, long-range plan, etc.).
Our mission is to help our business identify and invest in the right opportunities, with deliberate thought and a committed focus on prioritization and return on investment.
We seek to accomplish this mission through:
- Activities that impact today, such as annual strategy planning, long-range planning, prioritization and optimization of existing portfolio investments
- Activities impacting tomorrow, such as providing informed counsel on business strategy and business model evolution, strategic investments, M&A and partnerships
You'll be embedded at the heart of the company to drive our "Any (app), Any (device), Anywhere" vision, with responsibility for creating and owning a robust and comprehensive framework that raises and tackles key strategic questions driving how VMware should allocate its opex and capital investments over the near-medium term (1-3 years), and long term (3-5 years). In this role you will focus on Product Portfolio Management, and leverage product portfolio frameworks and finance-oriented models to guide VMware's decision makers through complex issues that the company faces in making investment trade-offs. You will have the opportunity to engage with executive leaders throughout the company, and partner with senior leadership from Product R&D, GTM, and Ops putting plans into action by using your framework to structure and drive strategic reviews, long-range planning, and buy/build/partner decisions at the business unit level.
- Develop a Product Portfolio Management framework for the company that establishes thought-leadership with the executive management team to guide future investment decisions
- Leverage strategic/management consulting frameworks to implement a portfolio approach to examining and managing VMware's array of business units, platforms, and products
- Perform quantitative and qualitative analyses by taking insights across a disperse set of data sources, including Wall Street perspectives, Industry Analyst reports, internal competitive intelligence and benchmarking, finance-oriented read-outs, quarterly business reviews, etc.
- Partner with senior leadership from business units and functional groups, and collaborate effectively to implement investment priorities in long-range planning; work with individual business units on business model analysis, and be an organic extension of the business unit on key critical projects
- Stand behind and represent the Product Portfolio Management framework before executive management and senior leadership; clearly communicate and justify investment priorities and recommendations
- Lead junior team members, and drive cross-functional teams to project completion
- 2-3 years at a top tier strategy/management consulting firm, or in-house with a focus on Product Portfolio Management
- Excel at hypothesis-driven problem solving, and leveraging frameworks to build structure to address large, ambiguous and complex issues
- Ability to process and organize complexity, and synthesize data across a multitude of sources and perspectives, to drive decision-making and action
- Basic understanding of three statement financials, and how items from the income statement relate and flow to the cash flow statement and balance sheet
- Pride in your work, whatever it might be, and a high level of personal accountability and integrity in how you complete your projects
- MBA required
- A layperson's understanding of software infrastructure technology, and what drives SaaS business models, and how they work
- A passion for technology, and deep research skills fueled by an innate intellectual curiosity
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top