Storage Systems Software Engineer
- Palo Alto, CA
Storage Systems Software Engineer
VMware Research Translation
Palo Alto, CA
VMware is a global leader in digital infrastructure. VMware accelerates customers' digital transformation journey by enabling enterprises to master a software-defined approach to business and IT. With VMware solutions, organizations are building extraordinary experiences by mobilizing everything. Our customers are responding faster to opportunities with modern data and apps hosted across hybrid clouds, and safeguarding customer trust with intrinsic cybersecurity.
Our world is all about technology, and that world is growing because the imagination, ingenuity and talent of our teams knows no bounds. We believe that creativity sparks innovation and inspires our employees to think of VMware differently and change the world around them.
Job Opportunity in VMware Research & Emerging Technologies Group
Join us to incubate technology-forward products and services! The VMware Research and Emerging Technologies group seeks to hire talented software engineers who will help incubate new business opportunities based on cutting-edge research ideas in the area of storage systems. These research ideas, initially explored in VMware's internal research group and/or our academic collaborations, are matured into new product offerings via VMware Research Translation (vRTX, pronounced "vortex") projects. Typically, vRTX projects run for up to two years and develop software artifacts (technology previews, proofs of concept, minimum viable products) that illuminate the advantages of early stage research ideas and serve as vehicles for collaboration with potential customers to assess product/market fit.
vRTX software engineers must have exceptional software development abilities. Projects may pivot more frequently than roadmap products, and intensive customer interactions can put a high premium on rapid prototyping skills. The ability to work effectively with customer engineering teams on POCs is important. Teams are usually small (~3-4 engineers) so versatility and teamwork are essential.
For the envisioned project, the ideal candidate will be knowledgeable about (and better still a contributor to) the state of the art in storage systems, embedded key-value stores, OLTP, OLAP, and interactions between key-value stores and database systems higher in the stack. SaaS experience is desirable. Distributed systems expertise is also desirable.
Role and Responsibilities
- You will be contributing to architecture, design, and implementation of software project based on emerging research ideas in the area of key-value stores. These will initially be dynamic, evolving prototypes and MVPs
- You will assist with debugging and verification of defects in your own and others' work
- You may participate in customer meetings to understand use cases and requirements
- You may participate in advanced development activities within VMware or in universities to advance the state of the art
- Expertise in the project-specific technical areas including storage systems, key-value databases, and the integration of these components in modern big data ingest and processing pipelines
- Production-level coding experience in C
- Experience and demonstrated success in advanced development and/or research project implementation
- Experience engineering systems for high concurrency and many-core scaling
- Experience with modern storage-related data structures and algorithms
- Experience with emerging technologies related to storage, such as pmem and NVMe
- Experience creating SaaS database or data processing systems
- Experience benchmarking and optimizing data systems
- Exposure to multiple programming languages is important, as the ability to pick up and use the language that suits a body of work is expected
- Experience in a range of system programming languages beyond C
Master's (preferred) or bachelor's degree in Computer Science with comparable work experience.
PhD in a relevant specialty would be a positive credential.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top