Storage Systems Software Engineer
- Palo Alto, CA
VMware Research Translation
Palo Alto, CA
VMware is a global leader indigital infrastructure. VMware accelerates customers' digital transformation journey by enabling enterprises to master a software-defined approach to business and IT. With VMware solutions, organizations are building extraordinary experiences by mobilizing everything. Our customers are responding faster to opportunities with modern data and apps hosted across hybrid clouds, and safeguarding customer trust withintrinsiccybersecurity.
Our world is all about technology, and that world is growing because the imagination, ingenuity and talent of our teams knows no bounds. We believe that creativity sparks innovation and inspires our employees to think of VMware differently and change the world around them.
Job Opportunity in VMwareResearch & Emerging TechnologiesGroup
Join us to incubatetechnology-forward products and services!The VMwareResearchand Emerging Technologiesgroupseeks to hiretalentedsoftware engineerswho will help incubate new businessopportunitiesbased on cutting-edge research ideasin the area of storage systems. Theseresearchideas,initially explored inVMware's internal research group and/orour academiccollaborations, arematured into new product offeringsviaVMware Research Translation (vRTX, pronounced "vortex")projects. Typically, vRTX projectsrun for up to two years anddevelop software artifacts (technology previews, proofs of concept, minimum viable products) that illuminate the advantages of early stage research ideas and serveas vehicles for collaboration with potential customers to assess product/market fit.
vRTXsoftwareengineers must haveexceptional software development abilities.Projects may pivot more frequently than roadmap products, and intensive customer interactions can put a high premium on rapid prototyping skills.The ability to work effectively with customer engineering teams on POCs is important.Teams are usually small (~3-4 engineers) so versatility and teamwork are essential.
For the envisioned project, the ideal candidate will beknowledgeable about(and better still a contributor to)the state of the art in storage systems,embeddedkey-value stores,OLTP, OLAP,and interactions between key-value stores and database systems higher in the stack.SaaS experience is desirable. Distributed systems expertise is also desirable.
Role and Responsibilities
- You will be contributing to architecture, design, and implementation ofsoftware projectbased on emerging research ideasin the area of key-value stores. These will initially be dynamic, evolving prototypes and MVPs
- You will assist with debugging and verification of defects in your own and others' work
- You mayparticipate in customer meetings to understand use cases and requirements
- You mayparticipate inadvanced developmentactivities within VMware or in universities toadvance the state of the art
- Expertise inthe project-specific technical areas including storage systems, key-value databases, and theintegration of these componentsin modernbigdata ingest and processing pipelines
- Production-levelcodingexperience inC
- Experience and demonstrated success in advanced development and/or research project implementation
- Experienceengineering systems for high concurrency and many-core scaling
- Experience with modernstorage-related data structures and algorithms
- Experience with emerging technologies related to storage, such aspmemandNVMe
- Experience creating SaaS database or data processing systems
- Experience benchmarking and optimizing data systems
- Exposure to multiple programming languages is important, as the ability to pick up and use the language that suits a body of work is expected
- Experience in a range of system programming languages beyond C
Master's(preferred) or bachelor'sdegree in Computer Sciencewithcomparable work experience.
PhD in a relevant specialty would be a positive credential.
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
Back to top